Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I don't want to get LED's with resistors, partly because they're more expensive, but mainly because that negates the power efficiency of the LEDs. Saw a video of an MK6 Golf 118TSI on Youtube where he used VAG COM to change byte 18 of the lights section and his bulb out warning for the tail lights went out. Was wondering if something like that would work for the US GTI. I want to change the rear bulbs with warm white 194 5SMD Leds, they look almost identical and the power difference is immense! Would be nice to change low beams and city lights as well. If every light on the car was LED, power consumption could go down by well over 100 watts and while providing better light and life (thats what I care about). The stock bulb on the taillights was too hot to touch after just a few seconds whereas the LED was not noticeably warm.

I find the system in our cars outright silly, there should be a setting that could be changed to lower the wattage requirements for a bulb out warning so we can upgrade to LEDs (future thinking). I've never used Ross Tech's software so I wanted to get input from you Gurus. Should something that sounds as simple as this be possible, I would like to find out whether this could be done with a free trial or a cheaper way, spending $300 for a one time bulb error removal is not feasible for anyone.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I was never able to get rid of the bulb out error when I put in LED city lights, even with vagcom. But for the taillights, you need to change the car model to something else. Can't remember, but look for the instructions for coding the Euro taillights.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.