Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a lot of people talking about needing different mirrors for the GTI.
I thought I would share this video as it explains the proper way to adjust them.
Give it a try, it takes a little getting used to, but it works.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have been using this exact adjustment method for the past few months and it really helps with the blind spots. But like you said it is a little wierd at first. Now I can hoon through rush hour with confidance! O0

·
Registered
113 Posts
I notice a lot of people talking about needing different mirrors for the GTI.
I thought I would share this video as it explains the proper way to adjust them.
Give it a try, it takes a little getting used to, but it works.
Well done my friend... I am most impressed and feel like a complete "IDIOT".... After watching this video I became painfully aware that I have never adjusted my side mirrors properly my entire life -- nor I have really put any real thought into it until now... I have always adjusted my side mirrors sitting straight up in the driver's seat while keeping a very small portion of my car in the mirror. I can't really tell you why I keep a small portion of the car in the mirror other than just a "reference????". How dumb is that??

Fraydknot -- Who knows in that this post may save someone from a major "ouch" or even a life!!!

Outstanding....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically the same thing I said when someone shared it with me quite a few years ago. I'm glad you like it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe we should should post this in a thread called boobs so everyone reads it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just reposted under the heading of Boobs. Hope i dont get in to much trouble.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah...when my dad taught me to drive ( at 14 I guess ) he told me to adjust the mirrors to just see the sides of the cars. Never questioned it until I started road racing. My instructor there told me the right way to do it and I have done it that way ever since.

It DOES take a bit of getting used to but once you are used to it it can be a life saver. You get real confidence that you can actually see what is there.

GOOD post and hopefully people will pay attention to it. Like the "boobs" idea!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah...when my dad taught me to drive ( at 14 I guess ) he told me to adjust the mirrors to just see the sides of the cars. Never questioned it until I started road racing. My instructor there told me the right way to do it and I have done it that way ever since.

It DOES take a bit of getting used to but once you are used to it it can be a life saver. You get real confidence that you can actually see what is there.

GOOD post and hopefully people will pay attention to it. Like the "boobs" idea!!!
I was taught the same. I've got to try this new adjustment. I'm just worried bout having the mirror angled too far away when backing up on a tight parking spot. (not that I park on tight spots with the gti,lol)

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
wtf, are you kidding me? nobody learned this while learning how to drive? Obviously I don't want to see my car in half of the mirror. There still is a blind spot even with the mirrors adjusted out, basically when the car is half a car down beside you, that's why you should always shoulder check.

I always keep a tiny bit of the door handle in my mirror as a reference point, otherwise something could bump your mirror and you would never notice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wtf, are you kidding me? nobody learned this while learning how to drive? Obviously I don't want to see my car in half of the mirror. There still is a blind spot even with the mirrors adjusted out, basically when the car is half a car down beside you, that's why you should always shoulder check.

I always keep a tiny bit of the door handle in my mirror as a reference point, otherwise something could bump your mirror and you would never notice.
I think you missed the point.
You shouldn't see your car in the mirror at all unless you lean to the left or right. The idea is to move your blind spot further back away from your car.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

I always shoulder check

·
Registered
5 Posts

this. either one does a shoulder check or a slight lean forward to see "further into the mirror" in so doing seeing further out into the next lane. takes some getting used to, it works for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive been Using this adjustment for a few months now and have noticed one thing: if I do not shoulder check, then any car making a lane change from the outside lane into the lane next to me will not be seen in the mirrors. I shoulder check to be sure of this, otherwise the mirrors adjust perfectly to account for cars directly in the next lane's blind spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive been Using this adjustment for a few months now and have noticed one thing: if I do not shoulder check, then any car making a lane change from the outside lane into the lane next to me will not be seen in the mirrors. I shoulder check to be sure of this, otherwise the mirrors adjust perfectly to account for cars directly in the next lane's blind spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
The way it was explained to me is this:

As you are driving down the center lane of a highway and a car overtakes you on the drivers side, as his image moves off the left side of your rear view mirror he should already JUST me moving into your side view mirror. If adjusted properly, the passing car will appear in your peripheral vision on the left before it leaves the side view mirror. No blind spot at all. Same idea for a car passing on the right.

Truthfully I STILL shoulder check Hard to break the habit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The way it was explained to me is this:

As you are driving down the center lane of a highway and a car overtakes you on the drivers side, as his image moves off the left side of your rear view mirror he should already JUST me moving into your side view mirror. If adjusted properly, the passing car will appear in your peripheral vision on the left before it leaves the side view mirror. No blind spot at all. Same idea for a car passing on the right.

Truthfully I STILL shoulder check Hard to break the habit.
one you actually don't want to nor need to break.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts