Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how stealth is the APR chip. The website claims that it is undectable by dealers. If i get this chip, Im definately going to take advantage of the flipswitch technology that APR offers, but what if one day i have to take the car in to the dealer?

Could the technician mess with the cruise control and bust me ???

[violin] If they do, thats the end of my warranty

·
Registered
85 Posts
I read on an A3 forum that the APR chip removes your Rev Limiter and Speed Governer...the way a dealer could find out you have chipped it is if you exceed the Governer speed (130 i think) since the top speed is recorded and visible to dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
but is that only when it is not on the stock mode? you would think that they would put it back on for the stock mode.

·
Registered
197 Posts
only wauy they can check is if they take out the ecu and ship it to the head quaters. some dealers dont car though. but if your dv blows thats a give away

·
Registered
11 Posts
MY DEALERSHIP IS VERY MOD FRIENDLY, SOME DEALERSHIPS DONT EVEN CARE..THEN THERE ARE THE DICK HEADS WHO SYA BLAH BLAH THATS NOT UNDER WARRANTY....SO, TALK TO THE SERVICE MANAGER, BE HONSET, TRUST ME! ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
WaZzAp1101 said:
I was wondering how stealth is the APR chip. The website claims that it is undectable by dealers. If i get this chip, Im definately going to take advantage of the flipswitch technology that APR offers, but what if one day i have to take the car in to the dealer?

Could the technician mess with the cruise control and bust me ???

[violin] If they do, thats the end of my warranty
Just my $.02 on the matter. I got the APR Stage 1 "Flash".. no chip involved. It boosts the power to 252ish and 303 torque. It was all dont by laptop download right to the car. You flip between what they call 93 octane (the flash mode) back to stock (which is where I drive it at mostly) all by the cruise control in a matter of seconds.. not even 1 minute to change. You can return it to stock with no problem just need to remember that before you take it in. The boost in power is nice so far but I havent pushed it yet.. still breaking in the car and no dyno to post numbers between modes. That will come in time.

If your service department wants to play detective and try all the known ways to see if you have anything they can but what does that say about them. Its profiling if they do it for no reason. I'd call them out for what in the h*** were they going after to find that out.

Its good.. consider it in your chipping/flash options. Definate recommend from me. O0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wassup???
I had my GTI flashed by an apr tech at local vw show. I loved the torque, improved gas mileage etc. I was enjoying my baby for two weeks before i had to go in for some minor repairs at the Bert Smith dealer here in saint pete, fla. They wanted to keep the car overnight for a headlamp recall and a ECU upgrade. I was woken up the following morning by my tech who asked me for permission to erase the aftermarket codes that he detected on my car. I had my car in the stock program before I dropped it off. That might answer your question. Maybe there is dealers that dig deep and try to detect aftermarket settings. Who knows. All I know is that mine was detected just like that!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
What about a lease? I am leasing a new GTi in black cannot wait to pick it up. But how would they handle it if I modded my leased car. I was looking into the APR ECU upgrade as well. I would take it to them for servicing and such. Anyone have info or experience?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts