Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I know this has been discussed a million times before: our cars burn oil. No big surprise there right? Well I have noticed that my car has been burning a particularly large amount of oil since my last change. I have put two quarts in in the past 3000 miles, I am pretty sure it may need more, I haven't checked yet... That seems pretty absurd to me.

I have also read that if you car is burning lots of oil, there may be a problem with the PCV system. Do you think that may be the case here? I am not hearing any "whistling" under load.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
It could be. I have burned through a little over a quart in about 4,000 miles and that is said to be normal. You could always have your PCV checked and if needed replaced. If something isn't wrong with your PCV then I say replace it anyway just to be safe

·
Registered
763 Posts
Going to toss my 2 cents in...

Pop the hood, unhook the PCV hose from the intake manifold and blow into it. If can blow in easily, PCV is gone.
Open up oil cap, look for white/yellowish build-up of puke-like liquid. If present, PCV is gone.
Look at the coil packs, around the oil cap, that general area to spot oil stains. If lots of oil around oil cap and that area, PCV is gone.

When my PCV died, i noticed an MPG drop, decrease in power, rough idle, and all of the three points stated above.

What do:
I would recommend getting a catch can and therefore getting rid of the PCV system. You can upgrade PCV to the most recent version, get a block-off plate... but a catch can is the best solution. Essentially it collects all that garbage that flies through your motor such as oil/dust/condensation/gas etc. and prevents valves from accumulating carbon build-up (this particular direct injected engine does not benefit from all those cleaners that they put into gas at gas stations because gasoline itself does not come in contact with the valves).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like me. My MPG is god awful right now (19-22). I'll check it out and give the dealer a call since it's still under CPO warranty. I am also getting a tune with my tax return. Maybe the guy can take a look at it there too. I would really like to avoid the dealer if possible. In CT, VW dealers are such bastards...

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Really? How so, crazyd? (if you dont mind sharing some knowledge)
Some of the piston rings cam mis aligned in the 2.0t motors from the factory. They allow excess oil to pass through

·
Registered
763 Posts
My MPG is god awful right now (19-22). I'll check it out and give the dealer a call since it's still under CPO warranty. I am also getting a tune with my tax return. Maybe the guy can take a look at it there too. I would really like to avoid the dealer if possible. In CT, VW dealers are such bastards...
If you want to avoid the dealer, then why call him? They won't replace the PCV with a catch can, i assure you, and that is the only true solution. Ordering a CC from ECS tuning or picking one up around where you live (if such option is available) seems much simpler. You can install everything yourself in less than an hour and minimal tools are required. I was in your situation not too long ago, PM me if you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts