Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you fill your GTI with a full tank of gas. Look at your MFD and see how many miles are left until empty. every time i fill up it is not the same. one time it said 250, another time it said 260, and one time it said 245. i am filling up all the way each time. but it gives a new distance remaining each tank. how many miles do you have remaining when you fill up? just so i can compare...thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
That estimate is adjusting to your driving style. I'd bet each time you see a different amount, you have been driving different. If I'm driving hard, it might say 300, then I drive extra nice for like 40 miles, and it still says 300...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i drive it like i stold it. so maybe that has something to do with the poor gas mileage. so urs says 300 huh. maybe ill see if says 300 if i drive real slow for a while.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I drive pretty damn hard/fast too.......I usually see 355 (but I do a lot of highway)

250/245 is really low, you might wanna get the checked out....unplug the bat for 30 mins let everything reset itself then go fill up again see what the number comes back as.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check your miles per galon. In my case L/100KM

i usually get 470KM but sometimes i get 530 if i am easy on the gas pedal after a while it will record around 10L/100KM. You can also try resseting your MPG and see if it adjusts the distance left. What would mean it uses that number to get average distance.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I usually get around 450-500 miles per tank depending on the weather. I drive almost all highway and it is always long trips (200+ miles at a time). I drive for economy and set the cruise at around 75. It doesn't matter if I'm running 87 or 93; the fuel economy is consistent.

·
Registered
110 Posts
:mad: i get about 300 miles per full tank!!!! WTF!!!! I travel at about 90 average on the turnpike though.... could this be why?? ;D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i dont get how you can get 400-500 a tank unless its purely only highway driving. that is some crazy mileage. i get about half of that

·
Registered
321 Posts
GTfly said:
i dont get how you can get 400-500 a tank unless its purely only highway driving. that is some crazy mileage. i get about half of that
I take the thruway from Syracuse to Newburg every weekend (roundtrip). This turns out to be around 450 miles roundtrip. This is about 99% highway, So my goal is always to make the journey on one tank. Also I have been driving very conservatively since I have to drive so much and gas prices are high. I just accellerate gently then set the cruise at 75mph. My MFD says I'm averaging about 33mpg (+/-.5). On my last tank I got 478 miles. I have only made it to 500 once, but I make it my goal each tank. During the week I use about 1 tank going back and forth to work. I drive mostly on state highways where the speed limit is 55 and the cops are dicks. So I set the cruise at 60 and end up getting about 34mpg throughout the week. Again, I am driving gently with very little stop and go.

NOTE: I was getting horribly shitty fuel economy for the past few months (18/23). Then when I took my car in to the dealership to get it inspected they told me there was recall that included my car. I never got anything in the mail regarding this either. They just had to reflash the ECU or something. Anyway, that fixed my problem. So, if you are getting bad fuel economy and you think you should be getting better then you might want to check with your dealership to see if your car is included in that recall.

Oh yeah, my car is stock.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
you actually get better gas mileage with a chip because they put more air into yer engine then fuel. atleast thats what i have been told by numerous shops.

·
Registered
63 Posts
<300 miles or 500km is pretty low for a full tank. Mine almost always says 580km after I fill up. Sometimes I do some highway driving after and the number goes up to 600. Realistically I get 500km per tank, mostly city driving. When I do go on a roadtrip I get about 600km/tank.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mine says 380-400 miles. I get about 28 mpg. this is all highway driving. I just don't understand how some of you guys are gettin 34 to 42 mpg! what are you doin to get that high of mpg. is cruise control the key?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
VWredrocket07 said:
mine says 380-400 miles. I get about 28 mpg. this is all highway driving. I just don't understand how some of you guys are gettin 34 to 42 mpg! what are you doin to get that high of mpg. is cruise control the key?
Cruise control, flat roads and set at 60MPH... you could get 38-40MPG.

·
Registered
46 Posts
awesome dragon. I live in VA so I deal with traffic and hilly (is that a word?) roads on a daliy basis. I managed to get 32.2 mpg one time and I thought I was king shit. BOY WAS I WRONG! lol. oh well, thanks for info dragon ;D

·
Registered
857 Posts
I usually get about 250-280 miles to a tank. This is about 75% city driving, and any highway driving that I do it is fast.

On my drive to Austin, I got about 330 miles to that tank, and I hit 130 three times. Same for the way back.

The MFD does adapt to your driving style. For example, if you are very conservative for about 50 miles before filling up, your MFD could say 350, in contrast, romping your car hard right before filling up and you can see 230. Those two numbers were my highest and lowest btw.

·
Registered
530 Posts
VWredrocket07 said:
awesome dragon. I live in VA so I deal with traffic and hilly (is that a word?) roads on a daliy basis. I managed to get 32.2 mpg one time and I thought I was king shit. BOY WAS I WRONG! lol. oh well, thanks for info dragon ;D
Dragon said:
VWredrocket07 said:
Cruise control, flat roads and set at 60MPH... you could get 38-40MPG.
Dragon didn't say he gets 38-40, he said "you could get..." Have you seen his mods? ;D I bet he doesn't get 25 mpg! ::)

·
Registered
857 Posts
It would be interesting to see if a conservatively driven, modified car got better mileage than a stock car driven the same way. New exhaust and intake help the car "breathe" easier, so shouldn't that result in better mileage... it would be an interesting experiment.

·
Registered
193 Posts
10bv01 said:
It would be interesting to see if a conservatively driven, modified car got better mileage than a stock car driven the same way. New exhaust and intake help the car "breathe" easier, so shouldn't that result in better mileage... it would be an interesting experiment.
ur mileage would be a lil better with the modded car..... maybe 1mpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.