Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently got my 07 gti, and am loving it, but i am a little paranoid with how long to let it warm up, i have heard it is bad to not let the turbo warmup, but cant find how much time i should wait before driving off

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
i just recently got my 07 gti, and am loving it, but i am a little paranoid with how long to let it warm up, i have heard it is bad to not let the turbo warmup, but cant find how much time i should wait before driving off
I believe the manual says *not* to warm it up. I still warm it up for about 2 minutes and let it cool down for at least 1 minute. It's just habit.:)

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
The engine kicks itself down from 1100 RPM to 800rpm all by itself after a cold start after a few mins. Once it does that I figure it's ready. The manual talks about not letting it warm up, claiming you will be saving gas. Stick it to the man and let your car reach a somewhat warm operating temp. :mad:@:

·
Registered
13 Posts
i just wait for my idle to drop to normal rpm's when its been sittin for awhile. just take care of that turbo, the most important thing is to let it idle after running it for long periods of time of running the hell out of it i.e. racing....

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
The only reason the manual says to start up and leave is to reduce emissions and save gas. I would let it warm up and cool down as mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i heard if u warm it up for about 30 to 60 seconds for the oil to circulate its fine that just if ur in a rush to be sumwhere but if ur not take ur time

·
Registered
888 Posts
can you warm up your engine up if you take it easy and not drive with alot of torque for like the first 5-10min

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's more important in colder temps even if your using the right wieght oil. when the engine warms up the oild lubricates better as it thins out. That's why the manual says not to let in warm up, so you can get the engine to normal operating temps faster. Still, you shouldn't rag on it till it's at full temp.

·
mmm...beer
2,815 Posts
im always late. i almost never warm her up before work. but under normal conditions, i let the rpms drop before i go anywhere, most of the time. vw is trying to be eco-friendly, i think thats why they tell you to not warm up and save the environment. like they tell you that you have the s option on your dsg tranny, but shouldnt use it cause it waists more gas. then on the brochure they test how "healthy" is your fast. i dont get it. is it eco friendly, or FAST? i dont know. its like one big oxy-moron to me. just my 2 cents on the issue.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Maybe volkswagen is saying to do eco friendly crap so those green liberal *******s will shut up. they made the speedometer off so that they woulden't get crap for calling the gti a "fast"

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
the manual says you get better mpg w/ a warm engine vs a cold one.
It states and I quote " let engine warm up for about 4.5 hours then drive and and let cool down for about 7 hours" So you should listen to them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
RTM :)

The fluid flow auto-reverses when you turn the car off, running the cooler-side back through the turbo and block to cool 'em down properly. So no need for turbo timers and all that.

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The TFSI engine has oil jets that spray oil directed to underneath the piston crown for cooling purposes. But the cylinder walls are splash lubricated by the crankshaft. Now, if you keep your engine idling for too long at minimum idle rpm, then you are not getting good lubrication on the cylinder walls. The solution is to drive the vehicle after the cold start period ( about 35 sec ) at below 3000 rpm. This will provide more oil to the bores and also the rest of the drivetrain heats up uniformly only when you are driving. Metallurgy and tribology (science of friction) has advanced to the stage where you can drive the vehicle cold without detriment to engine if you don't over-rev or overload engine. The cold start period is so the CAT gets up to temperature to correctly measure oxygen in exhaust.
Regards to all.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i usually let it go 2-3 minutes at least and if its really cold about 5-10 if i can... you can usually tell when its warmed up a bit cause the heat will start coming throug the vents at low fan speed... thats what my uncle said to go by and he's a car engineer

also driving when your engine is really cold right when you start it DOES use more gas cause your oil is a bit more viscous and the engine has to work a bit harder to turn... words of my uncle...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the main point here is to get the motor to operating temp as quickly as possible. Hence why you burn more gas on a cold start because you are running rich until the engine reaches that temperature( mainly to get the cat up to temp also). I typically would let my motor get some oil circulating for a bit which should be no more than a minute or two and then go. That doesn't mean I dog the hell out of it from the get-go. I just take it easy till the temp gets up to normal operating temperature.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.