Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
blackgti06 said:
I just got my car a moth ago i only got it up to 80mph. What do they top out at?
They're electronically limited at 130 according to the manual, but I got mine up to 90 last night (on my way to the dealership, no less).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had it over 100. I wanted to see how hard it would pull in 6th gear going up a mountain pass. Torquie little bastards aren't they?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the GTI up to 87mph on the test drive :) I would of gone faster if I could of :( but the salesperson warned me before I drove that the last guy was doing 112mph and he wasn't too happy about it. :) lol, if I had my foot on the gas for a another second or two I wouldn't doubt I'd be over the 180.

On a side note, I've had my regular Golf up to 130mph... downhill... but it was still fun.

Joel

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had mine up to 128mph :eek: on a straight as a rope section of I-5 and many times up to 100, you get there very quickly and it doesn't even seem like you are going that fast at all...too fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there any way to have the electronic limiter removed by a mechanic or re-programmed? The speedo reads to 180 mph, even though there's no way it could reach those speeds but 130 mph seems a little low for such a potential hatch.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Does this question only apply to '06 GTIs?

·
Registered
59 Posts
redrocket said:
I have had mine up to 128mph :eek: on a straight as a rope section of I-5 and many times up to 100, you get there very quickly and it doesn't even seem like you are going that fast at all...too fun.
dang! did the rev limiter kick in or what......did she want to go faster...she did, didn't she?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
170, Firebird, Daytona... thought I'd make it more race oriented.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I've had a 1999 base model Golf over 160 km/h (100mph) on the autobahn. I would hope the GTI can do a lot better. Gonna take mine on a road trip to Vegas shortly after I buy it and I will be passing through Montana, so we'll see if the governor works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
145- 2003 MKIV running from a road rager on I-285 outside of ATL, and yes i called 911. :eek: also have a pic before i got chipped... of it sitting at the speedlimiter @ 131-132 :-\

·
Registered
7 Posts
KarlMarkV said:
Is there any way to have the electronic limiter removed by a mechanic or re-programmed? The speedo reads to 180 mph, even though there's no way it could reach those speeds but 130 mph seems a little low for such a potential hatch.
yes you can, but like the usual spill blah stock brakes blah stock suspension blah stock tires, upgrade them and go to APR for a chip upgrade more boost more fuel more timing more speed. ;D very worth it especially if its that much better then the upgrade for the 1.8t suppose to take the 2.0t to like 250 hp and 303 ftlbs of tq where as my 1.8t only got 245tq and 215 hp. Just note first gear becomes really short and most of the time ASR will smile and flash you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply to "vwgti20v", I did get it up to 128mph and needed to back off as I was coming up on an over-pass with you know who possibly sitting there ::)

But oh yeh, it wanted to to go a whole lot faster...I've done the after market turbo-back
exhaust and a Neuspeed cold air intake. Next is "The Chip" :eek: and I will have the raised portion of my front hood painted gloss black.

Rumor has it that the high 160's is very possible with the above set up...I'll let ya' know. ;D

G

·
I took mine to 135/138 on the freeway and it still a few rpm's to go before redline in 6th. I wanted to keep going but saw traffic ahead

1 - 20 of 419 Posts