Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know that our speedometer is off, how off though?

well i had cruise control set at "80mph" i did the dualclimate diagnostic and it gave me a rough estimate.

But i decided to reset my MFD and it registered my average speed at 74. Which was exactly what the passengers temp read out.

i was in 6th gear doin 2900rpms registering 80mph but only doin 74.

When i set cruise at 50mph. i think i was doin 46 but im not positive.

whats ya'lls experience? i would like to know how fast i need to register on the speedo to be doin 79mph

·
Registered
556 Posts
Man, I wish I had the dual climate thing in the first place, everything I do is guesswork :-\

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
lumns said:

well i had cruise control set at "80mph" i did the dualclimate diagnostic and it gave me a rough estimate.

But i decided to reset my MFD and it registered my average speed at 74. Which was exactly what the passengers temp read out.

whats ya'lls experience? i would like to know how fast i need to register on the speedo to be doin 79mph
I think GPS would be more accuarte than both. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
GPS would definitely allow for a better comparison, but I don't have one.

My test involves setting the cruise control so the speedometer reads exactly, then resetting the car computer (hold the OK button) on the average speed view. In ten seconds, it'll give a new average.

On my 2007 DSG (not as) Fast (as it says)
Speedometer Computer
80 72
70 66
60 58
50 50

I'm not sure which is correct, but I really need to take it in to get this fixed.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats funny ur fast is slower at "80"mph than mine

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
scothand said:
GPS would definitely allow for a better comparison, but I don't have one.

My test involves setting the cruise control so the speedometer reads exactly, then resetting the car computer (hold the OK button) on the average speed view. In ten seconds, it'll give a new average.

On my 2007 DSG (not as) Fast (as it says)
Speedometer Computer
80 72
70 66
60 58
50 50

I'm not sure which is correct, but I really need to take it in to get this fixed.
I don't know if the dealer can/will recalibrate the speedo. :-\

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mine shows 70 MPH when my GPS shows about 68.4. I've only tried this a couple of times, need to check again at higher speeds.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think it's odd that your difference is not linear. I have checked mine against my GPS and I'm about 9% off at any given speed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think I trust the MFD more than the speedo. The odometer is referencing the MFD speed and if VW had that set up wrong they would be in a hell of a lot of trouble. The only reason I can think of why they've altered the speedo is so that people drive slower without knowing it. I was watching an interview session with some PR people from VW at the GTI launch and a lot of journalists were suggesting that the whole "Fast" thing encourages people to drive too fast. Maybe that was a quick fix for them to try and reduce the number of GTI's getting caught for speeding..... that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
842 Posts
lumns said:

I have an 08, and don't know how to check the speed with the climatronic - how do you do it? [help] Maybe they fixed it for 2008?

·
Registered
45 Posts
In my car (07), you scroll the MFD until you get to the speed warning. Reset it, then hold "OK" for a few seconds and it should set the warning to your measured speed at that instant. You can also reset the average measured speed on the MFD by pressing and holding "OK". Wait a few seconds and it'll show you your current speed. Obviously it is best if you do this while in cruise control. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
606 Posts
When I had my car dyno'd I had the tech do one of my runs to test the speedo. He kept it steady at 80mph, and the dyno read 73mph. So there you have it, it's confirmed.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah, that's a good method SpeeDemon. The dealerships are well aware of this issue, in fact there's something on that recall website about this issue...I can't remember the name, thus I don't have a link...sorry. But either way, this is something that may have been fixed in the 08 models, not sure though. If it wasn't fixed, then this is something VAG absolutely needs to fix. It's not like it'd be all that difficult.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks speedemon thats what i thought. I am not sure why it is such an issue. Is it a mechanical calibration thats an issue or a electronic/computer program problem?

·
Registered
606 Posts
thanks speedemon thats what i thought. I am not sure why it is such an issue. Is it a mechanical calibration thats an issue or a electronic/computer program problem?
It seems like it should be an easy fix using a VAG COM, but don't quote me on that. I should have asked VW when I went in for my recall. I try and avoid the place at all costs.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I love researching parts for this car. I came across this youtube video.
So awsome. And this one to.
Shows you what this little easy 5 min mod can do for $230usd.
This is where you get it. MKV Vario Plus Control Module ULTRA . Spiffy. I don't know the thread rules so if i do something bad tell me.
It's been posted about before.. seems there are some problems with the programming.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea...someone here has gotten it and there were gliches...though on the previous version the output of boost was only listed as bar now...the site says that it outputs the psi value.

oh..and has neone used the function for winter tire settings to fix the difference on the speedo?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have an 08 and it read exactly the same as my tom tom. right on the money.. did they fix it or am i lucky? if the speedo's off does that effect the miles your went or is it separately read from something else. When i changed the tire size on my jeep the speed was off and would drive say 300 miles but read only 270.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have an 08 as well and it's right on. another good way to tell is, you guys will love this, drive next to civic :eek: (with the electric speedo) and see how fast they're driving and compare speeds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts