Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how far is to far?

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Thalo 
#1 ·
ive raced my car a couple or so times but lately it feels like after launching off first that the rpms arnt going to come down but then i shift and i get the feel of shifting to soon .....should i just wait for them to drop down ?

#2 ·
hobouncer said:
ive raced my car a couple or so times but lately it feels like after launching off first that the rpms arnt going to come down but then i shift and i get the feel of shifting to soon .....should i just wait for them to drop down ?
Please explain in more detail.

#3 ·
ok well of a dead start you rev up and release your clutch the wheels will begin to spin and shoot up into the red line and i know they stay up there for a little bit then come down and then you shift into second but for some reason lately it feels like the rpms arnt going to come back down. .. you know what i mean?

#4 ·
You might be destroying your clutch... Always make sure you come completely off the clutch. I doubt it is this, but I've seen brand new clutches destroyed in 30miles of driving before. Slight wheelspin is fine when you're taking off, but if it's not wheelspin that's keeping those RPMs up, you better rethink your driving style. One thing I also see a lot is people trying to take off too fast with traction control enabled. That is a sure way to burn up your clutch and look like a complete idiot. (I just saw an episode of Criss Angel and he did just that in his Viper, he really thought he was hauling ass though but in reality he was just that much closer to a visit to the clutch shop).

#11 ·
GranTurismoInjection said:
Hahahaha, he had his ESP on! What a n00bface!

*turns his ESP off while nobody is looking*
im guessing you cant read or just to dumb to understand the initial post my question had nothing to do with esp at all it has to do with redlining and wheel spin you ASS as in how far is to far to stay in the redline AND there is no burnt clutch smell just rubber my clutch is fine

#13 ·
JimmyP21 said:
PMAZ said:
You might be destroying your clutch... Always make sure you come completely off the clutch. I doubt it is this, but I've seen brand new clutches destroyed in 30miles of driving before. Slight wheelspin is fine when you're taking off, but if it's not wheelspin that's keeping those RPMs up, you better rethink your driving style. One thing I also see a lot is people trying to take off too fast with traction control enabled. That is a sure way to burn up your clutch and look like a complete idiot. (I just saw an episode of Criss Angel and he did just that in his Viper, he really thought he was hauling ass though but in reality he was just that much closer to a visit to the clutch shop).
Dude, If i leave ESP on and drop the clutch, the engine is instantly retarded. In otherwords, you drop the clutch with ESP on, and all that happens is the RPMS drop to 1500 and its like your not even hitting the gas. I've done this on several ocassions, thinking i hit the ESP off.

So , heres what i think is happening. If the egine sounds like its staying constant at per say about 5800, which mine seems to do when droping the clutch at about 3k plus, but does not semm to go up till a second later your fine. The question is, are the rpms sticking at 65-6800, because thats the other thing with these gtis Its hard to tell if your at redline, it doesnt bounce off it like all other cars ive had. Clutch, well thats hard to say unless one of us drives in it. My guess is its getting colder out hard tires dirty roads, NO TRACTION! Keep on burnen rubber dude!. IF you clutch was burning it would smell like absolute shit the next time you stoped. if you just smell toasted rubber your golden.

No offense PMAZ but it really sounds like you have no idea what your talking about.

Try doing this again, and stop quckly thereafter and smell, If it smells just like rubber no problem besides lack of traction. You will know the smell im talking about, when it hits your nose if your clutch is burning.

Kick ass dude, the DSG sucks IMO. I love my 6 speed.

I've read numerous threads about how the DSG cant handle alot of power, but if you have the 6 speed its all good.

Hope this helps you, and weed of the retard repliers
Offense taken... I had no idea we had a know-it-all on here. You should definitely consider yourself outside the "retard repliers". Please, bestow upon us all your wisdom. I know nothing.

#14 ·
thanks pmaz you understood my initial post and i tried it a couple of times and it drops down within the redline then i shift and everything is fine. i get a sweet take off i smoked my friends spec v. i have a totally diffrent question how do you know if your car is limited on the speed i see a bunch of people here say that its 130? or so does it just stay there ? or does it drop down to like 125 then back up to 130?

#15 ·
hobouncer said:
i have a totally diffrent question how do you know if your car is limited on the speed i see a bunch of people here say that its 130? or so does it just stay there ? or does it drop down to like 125 then back up to 130?
You've got me on that question. I really don't know anything about the speed limiting thing, maybe JimmyP21 might want to chime in with their infinite knowledge... no offense (JimmyP21).

#16 ·
I got mine to 141 on I-40 East in NC and it simply would not accelerate anymore. I was holding at 4700 rpm in 6th. It didn't exactly bounce off 141, just hovered there. Then I remembered I didn't have a radar scanner, and backed off. That was the fastest I'd been in a car and it was insane. The End

#18 ·
Bboy AJ said:
I only wish I could drive like PMAZ.

Tell us the story again of how the F40 sounds with those turbos right next to your head! Man, what a lucky guy.
Insane just about sums it up.

#19 ·
hobouncer said:
im guessing you cant read or just to dumb to understand the initial post my question had nothing to do with esp at all it has to do with redlining and wheel spin you ASS as in how far is to far to stay in the redline AND there is no burnt clutch smell just rubber my clutch is fine
Learn how to take a joke, jesus christ...

And yes, I do know how to read and understand stuff. I also know how to form proper sentences and capitalize shit.

#22 ·
oh wow i didnt know i was in english class again chek out all the bad werds im writing in these paragraphs so you want to proof read it and give me a grade? ohhhh so perfect sentences!! i give you 2 thumbs up for your great skills ..................sorry dude ur i can care how things are spelled here and if you were so good at reading you might of answered the question but guess not immmmmmmmmmmmmmmm donneeeeeeee

#23 ·
hobouncer said:
oh wow i didnt know i was in english class again chek out all the bad werds im writing in these paragraphs so you want to proof read it and give me a grade? ohhhh so perfect sentences!! i give you 2 thumbs up for your great skills ..................sorry dude ur i can care how things are spelled here and if you were so good at reading you might of answered the question but guess not immmmmmmmmmmmmmmm donneeeeeeee
what in GTI's name did he just say??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.