My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wash mine by hand. Usually in the driveway with a garden hose, but I do have two indoor wash bays here at work where I'll do it when it is cold outside. I also have an automatic car wash at work, but I'd rather do it by hand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nobody touches my car but me! I was a professional detailer a few years ago so I know what it takes to get the job done right.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Same here. On both counts, actually...

I actually enjoy washing and detailing my own car (and occasionally, my girlfriend's '02 New Beetle as well). It a matter of pride. Plus I'm super-anal about other people touching my stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone who lives in the Clearwater/St. Pete/Tampa - Florida area can take their cars to my detail shop: www.ericsautosalon.com located in d'town Clearwater. Mention that I sent you (I'm Jared, co-owner) for 10% off to MyFastGTI members!! We cater to only the finest cars and use only the finest products. A clean car is a happy car..... and a F A S T one too! ;D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I do a better job than the carwashes cause they miss spots specially when your driving the spots dry up on the car i hate that

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Carwash (Brown Bear is Bellevue, WA) does an amazing job for an auto wash. They even have a wheel cleaner that shines up those cool red brake calipers! I think it looks as close to a hand wash as I've ever seen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wait for sundown or a cloudy day becaue the sun NEVER stops shining in Hawaii.
When the time is right, I'll do the standard, spray, wash, spray, dry. Then I usually use the left over soap-water and a rag and hand-wash my rims. I'll then apply wax (before it gets dark). After the waxing is done, I'll move onto other stuff like glass. I'll use Stoner's on my glass, inside and out, as well as on the mirrors. Then I'll move onto interior.

I'll be vacuuming sometime soon, since I've got a nice collection of leaves in my footwell. My car doesn't smell too bad yet so no febreeze, but I'll probably look into air-fresheners soon. I'll do a thorough cleaning of the vinyl, leather, and anything else that needs my attention.

It takes me like 3-4 hours but the setting sun's rays on the shiny car make it all worth it for me ;D

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I'm lazy. Pressure washer (soap/rinse/wax), then sun-dry. It's dirty a day later anyway, why labor on it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a college student and getting the job done fast, right, and cheep means that I go to the local Geenie Self-Serve Car Wash. I spray on the pre-rinse and use the foaming brush to get soap on, then use washing cloths to get the stuborn dirt and bug guts off. I was reluctant to use a spray wax to cut waxing time and fell in love with Eagle One's Nanowax Spray Wax. I swear the car shined better than when it came off of the lot, and it only took me 30 minutes! In an ideal world I would have the time to wash my car by hand and vacuum it at least once every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use tons of dish washing detergent to clean up the paint and a bucket load of degreaser to clean up the wheels... j/k

I actually use car wash soap with carnuba wax in it. Then a spray on "wax as you dry" product. For the wheels and tires I use a secret formula I mix myself. My previous car spent a lot of time in the "spot light" so i picked up a couple tricks of the trade to get the ride to "pop" when you look at it.

My fast is tornado red and my buddy has a tornado red on as well. When we park by each other the colors look totally different casue mine looks richer and brighter than his after a traditional hand car wash.

I will post a pic of both cars to show the difference as soon as I can. Its been rainy here in miami for about a week now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
With this car, I've decided to go the "by hand" route. I use Turtle Wax Platinum Wash & Conditioner, then Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner, Mothers Sealer & Glaze, and finally Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax. Brush excess wax out of the nooks and crannies with a car detailing brush (not as much of a beating as it sounds). For the wheels, I've been using the Turtle Wax W&C as well, but I'm going to break down and get some spray cleaner. Of course, the only towels used are micro-fiber. The Absorber works great. Newspaper for the glass. The whole process takes me about 4 hours, but it's incredible (and on the Black Magic, unfortunately, necessary).

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Man, I just washed my car today. Spent $6 at a coin-op: soap spray, foamy brush (to wash off bug splatter and tree-droppings), more soap spray, rinse, carnuba wax spray... dried it all by hand. Looked perfect. Drove out to my parents place for lunch, which is way out in the countryside. Front is covered with bug splatter again. Why do I bother?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thalo said:
Man, I just washed my car today. Front is covered with bug splatter again. Why do I bother?
At any auto parts chain, you can get a bug crud remover spray so you don't have to redo the whole car. Just hit the grill and lights and you should be right as rain.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts