Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who are new to modifying cars and the associated lingo, please explain with text or images what makes a car ricey. I know the big items such as wings and excessive trims, but what about the subtle things? Like the guy who placed his license plate off center. What makes it ricey?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
uncle dude said:
For those of us who are new to modifying cars and the associated lingo, please explain with text or images what makes a car ricey. I know the big items such as wings and excessive trims, but what about the subtle things? Like the guy who placed his license plate off center. What makes it ricey?
Rice: a derogatory term for a person who tunes their car in a flashy and pointless fashion. It is also often used as a derogatory term aimed at a vehicle owner or operators that is under the delusion that their toy is outstanding/spectacular/special.

Example:

Please note that we are not targeting any specific race, religion, or sex. The term "riceboy" can be applied to the female gender as well, but usually substituting "girl" with the "boy" portion of riceboy. Riceboys outnumber ricegirls, but we will focus on the typical thought process of a ricer in general.

1. Riceboy has a vehicle that is generally not considered a performance car, ("performance car" meaning it stems from the sports car or muscle car background).

2. Riceboy starts by adding visual modifications to the vehicle, to give it the image of "looking fast." This can be done by adding a body kit, a performance uni-blade windshield wiper, vast amounts of stickers strategically placed on any part of the vehicle, performance seat belt covers, PIAA driving lights that are fluroescent or blue colored, large exhaust tip (at least twice the size of the actual exhaust pipe), 130+ decibel stereo system, and an oversized rear wing/spoiler.

Keep in mind, THESE ARE NOT PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS. Riceboys think they are, and as a result will cruise around town like they are fast. Zooming around corners, riding laid back, and music cranked with the windows down to make it known that there is a loud stereo in the vehicle all to make it APPEAR as if they are tough, have a fast vehicle, and aren't to be messed with.

3. Riceboys "race" from a rolling start of about 30mph. This is not a real race.

4. Riceboys on several occasions will cruise the streets with their local car club which should actually be called a decal club. They typically flaunt their newest windshield stickers while sporting other offset sticker designs they came up with to promote the club for their economy-cars-turned-race-cars.

5. Riceboys call their exhaust systems "high-tech" sounding. We don't know about the rest of the world, but our farts sure don't sound remotely high-tech. Riced out vehicles sound like a fart, a gnat, or a swarm of bees when travelling in packs.

6. To draw more attention to their vehicles, when large crowds are in the area, they tend to drive by several times at about 6000rpm so everyone can see their immaculate vehicle speed by and fart. Riceboy drives fast or in crowded areas doing all that he can to attract the most attention and turn the most heads. Ultimately, this is riceboy's goal.

7. Whenever riceboys park, they like to keep their windshield wipers up. This is still a mystery to us, but for some reason this is cool. Why, we do not know. Maybe to prove that the ricer has the coordination and timing to turn off the vehicle before his or her wiper(s) retract.

Many riceboys deal with what they have. Unfortunately, they go overboard with whatever vehicle they can afford, was handed down to them, or was purchased for them by mommy and daddy. Because of this, there are literally several thousand 4-banger, 6-banger, and even some 8 cylinder vehicles roaming the streets with extremely poor taste in exterior body modifications. This poor taste somehow translates into an image of performance, and to the average person these vehicles might actually look "fast." Keep in mind that riceboys can drive any type of vehicle, not just an import.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Dragon; Two things: 1) Excellent remarks!!! Are they yours or did you pull that from soewhere? 2) How much free time do you Canadians have on your hands?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Gunny said:
Dragon; Two things: 1) Excellent remarks!!! Are they yours or did you pull that from soewhere? 2) How much free time do you Canadians have on your hands?
Took me aboot 5 minutes, eh.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
One things some people have to realize is that there's a fine line between tuner and ricer.

Tuners "rice" out there cars for sponsorships but have a crap-load under the hood to back it up, mostly from the manufacturers they have posted all over their cars... but most tuners don't drive their cars on public roads...so most cars that look like they're tuners, are just ricers with absolutely nothing to back up their crap.

TUNER: (not my style anyway)

vs.

RICER:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I don't know....the ricer actually put in a lot of decent work and money (not that it's my style).....I might be generous and call him a tuner too. :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Even that so called 'tuner' (the yellow car) looks a bit on the ricey side. I mean, one of the main characteristics of a ricer is that they accessorize their vehicle with pointless modifications. For example, the upper wing on that yellow POS. What does that do? Without going into wind tunnel analysis, I would guess that it deflects air away from the actual spoiler. Why on earth would you want to do that? Maybe because it looks "cool". Also, what is that intake vent directly above the windshield? Ram-Air-Conditioning?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Signs of rice: Can someone point out other than the stickers what makes the Mustang posted above riced out? 8)

·
Registered
573 Posts
How about a couple of the other things listed in Dragon's rant. Look at the windshield wiper and antena. And what is with that mirror?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
How about, it's a V6. And he put his name on the upper door frame! O0

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Last night I saw this: It's clean other than THAT HUGE USELESS HOOD SCOOP! [fish]

·
Registered
530 Posts
And the funny lookin' wheels, and what's up with those lights below the headlights??? :wtf2: :wtf2:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts