Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! How are you doing today? I've got a problem figuring this out...

I bought my MKV a month ago. I bought it with mods, but I don't know what they are.

I can tell its been lowered, but I don't know if the shock/struts are stock and just dampened. I can tell you my tires are scalloped, which is why I have to drop off my car to the dealer today for new tires (argued that they sold me an unsafe car for chicago winters). Maybe improperly modded? IDK.
I was told its been chipped to at least APR stage 1, which I haven't confirmed. The previous owner even when as far as to badge the interior with APR logos. Maybe it's chipped?? lol.

There's a carbon fiber air box (not APR) under the hood that has a pipe going to the firewall on top of the master cylinder, then 90 degrees left, the 90 degrees left again. what diameter is the minimum for a high flow intake? for all I know, thats stock tubing.

I know the stock I/C has black sides, so I figure if I find any other color I know its not stock. I also have not looked at the exhaust. I know high flow is 3", so I can measure the diameter and divide by pi and know where im at in regards to the exhaust. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it still has it's stock turbo. but then again, I have no idea what that looks like.

If there's anything I'm missing here I would really appreciate any remarks/comments. My goal is to get my MKV up to APR's stage III, but I have NO IDEA where I'm at. any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
You can call APR and give them your VIN to see if you're tuned. The tires could be from under/over inflation. Put up some pics of the parts in question and I bet people here could identify them. The exhaust will either have the "suitcase" on the back or not and that should tell you if you have a cat-back. If you get word from APR that you're Stage 2 then it also means you have a 3" downpipe. Pics pics pics

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called them and they told me to bring it into an APR dealer.. calling them is useless. and you're right they could have wear from air pressure, but the tires are cupped and scalloped. thats usually a shock/strut issue, the dealer is being cool enough to check it out for me. hope they don't lie to me and say "nope! looks good!" cause they don't wanna replace the parts. I hate those guys.... doesn't the cat back from APR have a suitcase?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I called them and they told me to bring it into an APR dealer.. calling them is useless. and you're right they could have wear from air pressure, but the tires are cupped and scalloped. thats usually a shock/strut issue, the dealer is being cool enough to check it out for me. hope they don't lie to me and say "nope! looks good!" cause they don't wanna replace the parts. I hate those guys.... doesn't the cat back from APR have a suitcase?
No, it doesn't. But hey, if APR told you to bring it to an APR dealer, why not bring it to an APR dealer? And if you don't trust the dealer to look into the shocks and struts, why not bring it to an independent?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
look at the exhaust right at the turbo, thats your downpipe. if its stainless with some sort of mirror finish, your prolly at stage 2, if not, stage 1 it is

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it doesn't. But hey, if APR told you to bring it to an APR dealer, why not bring it to an APR dealer? And if you don't trust the dealer to look into the shocks and struts, why not bring it to an independent?
- I like this guy. hahaha no seriously the kick in the teeth is, the dealer IS the APR dealer around me. those sons of b*tches cornered the market on me

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
The intake says AWE right on it bro! And the rest of the tubing isn't plastic, so not stock.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
- I like this guy. hahaha no seriously the kick in the teeth is, the dealer IS the APR dealer around me. those sons of b*tches cornered the market on me
You're telling me that the VW dealer is also the APR dealer? I really thought that wasn't allowed by VW. Any other APR dealers around?

The intake says AWE right on it bro! And the rest of the tubing isn't plastic, so not stock.
I also see a eurojet pcv hose
Right. AWE intake but what the hell is that Eurojet PCV hose? I know they made a modified PCV plate, and they made a catch can but who would install those?? Haha.

Bottom line is, we need better, more inclusive pics. I, personally, can't wait to see 'em after you get the car back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bottom line is, we need better, more inclusive pics. I, personally, can't wait to see 'em after you get the car back.
Thank you. They should be calling me today. They gave me a 2013 CC and I can't wait to get my coupe back. this CC sucks!!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
well, its less than stage2+, so its still on the stock turbo (no HPFP) once we get that pic of the downpipe i could tell u. if its apr, SIT DOWN IN YOUR CAR, flip the ignition on, dont start it, click the switch for your cruise control on, and press the ACCEL and hold. if it starts blinking your def tuned with APR. just saying

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
actually the piping IS plastic. I thought maybe diameter had something to do with it
Oh, it looks powder coated in that picture. I think after market intake piping is usually the same diameter as stock.

Sent from that Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
You're telling me that the VW dealer is also the APR dealer? I really thought that wasn't allowed by VW. Any other APR dealers around?
Right. AWE intake but what the hell is that Eurojet PCV hose? I know they made a modified PCV plate, and they made a catch can but who would install those?? Haha.

I too bought mine at a place authorized at first by GIAC and now they are APR. However, the dealer service dept. is not. What it is is the Dealer has a Motorsport shop around back that does the aftermarket biz, and the dealer warranties it all. IDONO?
The dealer is Herzog-Meier and the shop around back is HM Motorsport. Have I ever gone back there? HELLLLLLLLLLL NA!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow. okay so I got my car back. umm, long sorry short I bought the car with scalloped tires, which I didn't know, and I came back for them to replace them. I had to call V dub america for them to open a case and them finally they agreed to replace my tires (unsafe in winter). they scratched my fender up BAD, ****ed up my bumper, and DELETED MY APR TUNE. no joke. I called APR for them to look up the VIN, and they said they wouldn't, to protect the previous owner. So they told me that it happens all the time, the dealer does it by accident (i've had nothing but problems with that specific dealer) and they would re-tune it IF i was the warranty holder. Another long story short, I went across town, and they transferred the warranty to me (for 150 bucks), tuned it to 93 octane.

Here's my mods, they said.
stock downpipe, but A/M wastegate? (psssst.)
eurostar PCV piping, but no catch can
AWE carbon fiber intake box, with black metal powder-coated intake piping (good call csmith! )
And back to APR Stage I
thats it :/

anyone have any good ideas to get her to Stage III+?

I am a noob to VW, and really am open to suggestion. if you have any ideas I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Eurojet not eutostar. Start with a down pipe, catch can and vcds cable.

Sent from that Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 42 Posts