Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone ran over a honey mustard packet at a wendy's drive-through and splattered it all over my drivers side. I waited 2 weeks to clean it and it has been baking in the sun. I finally tried to clean it but it is on like glue. Even scraping my finger nail over it doesnt take it off. Any ideas on what I should use. I am affraid of messing up my paint. My car is black magic.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
It's not a good idea to wait 2 weeks to clean stuff like that off. I was my friends house in the country where there are like 20 cats (no exaggeration) and they like to lie on the nice warm hood of my fast. Well, I waited like 3 days to clean off the paw prints thinking it was no big deal... just a bunch of mud. It was a bitch to clean off... i don't know what's in that country mud... but now I keep a terry towel with me at all times, just in case.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Honey Mustard! Oh no... That is like having vinegar or another acid stuck on the side of your car.

Just keep wetting it down with warm water to help soften it up, and hopeful it hasn't etched to far into the paint. Don't use abrasives or anything to scrape it off, may lift clearcoat/paint with it.

I wonder about possibly using a steamer to clean it, if you know anyone who has one. Could maybe get away with a kettle to spray hot steam at it...

Best of luck anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Use a hot dog sliced in half and rub up and down :p

---------------------------------

Srsly- use some turlewax bug and tar remover, after wash with soap and water and wax the area if it's painted or treat the plastic with your prefered plastic cleaner

·
Registered
342 Posts
You may have to get some rubbing compound or something.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Just out of curiousity, have you tried any tar/bug type spray on remover??? that seems like the logical thing to try first....for me anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have tried the tar remover before (it's a bright blue fluid), and it actually works pretty well. You can pick it up at any auto parts store. But I used it on a chevy truck that was about 10 years old.

I'm sure you love your fast as much as I do and the extra money for the detail will be worth it. On the beautiful color of the FAHRENHEIT I'm afraid everyting will show.

Well that's my two cents

·
Registered
169 Posts
if you are affraid to use anything to harsh for the heck of it try a fabric softener sheet if it is really hard what ever is actually in them really does soften anything up its what i use to get those nasty bugs that are stuck on really bad and it works like a dream. I figure maybe it will work and it won't cost much to try. just my little thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't know if you got this fixed yet but here's what I might try. A really good polishing paste. I used this, very carefully, on my ex-wifes Toyota to take of permanent marker (some kids idea of a joke) and it worked great. You want to be really careful and make sure you wax it afterwords. Also since your fast is black do not polish in circles, go in straight lines.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to own a detailing shop. If the mustard is actually dried on the paint, do not try to "Scratch it" off, you may take the paint with it. Bring it to a shop to have it professionaly cleaned. A basic polish and wax on a small car should not cost more than 80-100 depending on where you live. They will use a egg crate wheel that will heat up the paint and pull out what may have soaked into the paint. Make sure to tell them exactly what it is and how long it has been on, as well as what you have used to try to remove it (OTC chems). Most pro shops will offer some type of guarentee, make sure you ask what there policy is on not being able to clean it off, or further damage. Most of the time you can stay and watch. It should come clean, but being black, there is a slight chance that it may fade just slightly. Good luck and take care of it quick.

HT

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I used to own a detailing shop. If the mustard is actually dried on the paint, do not try to "Scratch it" off, you may take the paint with it. Bring it to a shop to have it professionaly cleaned. A basic polish and wax on a small car should not cost more than 80-100 depending on where you live. They will use a egg crate wheel that will heat up the paint and pull out what may have soaked into the paint. Make sure to tell them exactly what it is and how long it has been on, as well as what you have used to try to remove it (OTC chems). Most pro shops will offer some type of guarentee, make sure you ask what there policy is on not being able to clean it off, or further damage. Most of the time you can stay and watch. It should come clean, but being black, there is a slight chance that it may fade just slightly. Good luck and take care of it quick.

HT
[good post]

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Use a hot dog sliced in half and rub up and down :p

---------------------------------

Srsly- use some turlewax bug and tar remover, after wash with soap and water and wax the area if it's painted or treat the plastic with your prefered plastic cleaner
LMFAO I've actually seen this used and it works.
ff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts