Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, ive had this HKS SSQ BOV for a long time but never got around to install it, i want to install it but i dont know how, does anyone have any instructions or someone who already installed it on theres. Thanks. -Bambino

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Collin1.8 said:
why would it cause that?
Actually, I don't know if it would on a 1.8T, I know it will on a 2.0T.

BOV's are NOT replacements for recirculating / diverter valves.

Do a search- there are a few threads that cover the differences / pros and cons.

In short if you blow off air to the atmosphere in a system designed to recirculate the excess charged air- it tends to confuse the mass air flow sensor and the ECU. This can cause an improper air/fuel mixture which could shorten the engine's lifespan.

·
Registered
230 Posts
if on the 1.8T the BOV is mounted upstream or ahead of the MAF then you wont have any problem, but like dragon said on the 2.0T its after the MAF so the engine has imporoper air/fuel mixture so you'll run rich and you'll have the CEL on

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
slimGTI09 said:
if on the 1.8T the BOV is mounted upstream or ahead of the MAF then you wont have any problem, but like dragon said on the 2.0T its after the MAF so the engine has imporoper air/fuel mixture so you'll run rich and you'll have the CEL on
You've got about half of it for the 2.0T. I've written waaay too much on the subject to say it again so I'll leave that one to the search tab.

With the 1.8T I have heard that the VAG does not log/control when the DV actuates as is the case of the 2.0T. If this is the case you may not have any "soft" CEL's like we get in the MKV. I had an HKS SSQV on for a few months, I pulled it as soon as the elec. Forge came out.

You will however still run rich like DRAGON and SLIM mentioned. Rich is better than lean for the motor but will cause a bunch of crap build-up' and you won't be at optimum tune.

As far as a DIY or where to get the mount and/or hardware for the install...no idea, talk to your speed shop and I'm sure they will have a few ideas.

IMO, I agree with GTFly....too much hassle for too little sound, stick with stock until you blow it or have a reason to upgrade (i.e. big turbo).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your input, i will however go ahead and install it and hope for the best. Thank you. Ill keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts