Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at around 4000 rpm my engine begins to hiss. maybe this is how its supposed to sound and im just a noob, but i didnt notice it before.[note:i drive with the windows down, so my friend seems to think its the wind]

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I notice it too with the windows down and it is, in fact, the turbo. I can't wait till it gets warmer and I can drive with the windows down (it's fucking snowing right now and I wanted to go to the driving range today :( )

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree w/ the others...I'd have to say that's the turbo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but GTI only pushes a max of 8 psi of boost stock, so it's a relatively low-boost system (STOCK) and much quieter in comparison to some other turbo-c'd cars. I would say it's pretty likely that you'd completely miss the sound unless you were a.) pushing the car real hard b.) had the windows down and c.) were listening for it.

Not to get off-topic, but while we're talking about the subtle turbo sound, does anyone know if the Carbonio intake produces as aggressive a sound as the Neuspeed?

·
Registered
220 Posts
from what ive hear no. i want an intake but i loke my engine cover. i guess the traditional intakes like p flo give you a mean noise...thats what im planning on, forget the cover

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I heard the Carbonio last week at the shop, (the tuner car they are working on has one) the Carbonio does amplify the turbo a little and it sounds good. I did not hear the blow off sound that you get with the Neuspeed though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
thats what im looking for. i can't wait. does the dealer void the warranty for that if the problem isnt directly related? i dont think theyre supposed to

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
mygreyfast88 said:
from what ive hear no. i want an intake but i loke my engine cover. i guess the traditional intakes like p flo give you a mean noise...thats what im planning on, forget the cover
If you have a dremel and patience you can salvage the engine cover even if you install the p-flo.. but its your call.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
mygreyfast88 said:
thats what im looking for. i can't wait. does the dealer void the warranty for that if the problem isnt directly related? i dont think theyre supposed to
I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I think you were asking if your warranty is voided if you put on the intake.

If you read your warranty, it basically says the problem would have to be directly related to / caused by the modification. (That is not word for word for you OCD people out there.)

Hope that answers the question..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Bcruzin said:
mygreyfast88 said:
If you have a dremel and patience you can salvage the engine cover even if you install the p-flo.. but its your call.
Did you do it? If so, can you post a pic? I've been toying with the idea, I have a Dremel and I'm not afraid to use it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.