Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my GTI IV, and I'm hoping that the high pitched noise that starts when I start up the car is normal. It sounds as if it is normal, for after about a minute, it goes away. What is this? Thanks guys/gals.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
It's the belt. Tighten it or get it replaced. Replacing it is cheap and easy.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
It's only the belt on the outside of the motor, tensioner is right beside the coolant/washer reservoir tanks. Take a 15/17mm wrench (can't remember which) and pull it towards you, pop the belt off then pop the new one on. If the belt feels a little loose then tighten the bolt that holds the tensioner in place, a little lower than the notch that frees the belt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my car does it
its kind of a wwhining when it hits peek rpm's at startup, preaty sure its just the starter not pulling off soon enough, i had a mecanic frean of mine look at it and he agreed, im not worried

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get a sound it sounds just like the fan belt going maybe it has something to do with the turbo getting to operating temp? Default startup for the oil get get moving again? I don't know. maybe that is it with the oil. Does anyone seem to notice this when it is colder than 70 out?

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Either accessory belt or 2ndry air injection pump, hence the only at start up bs, both are easy fixes search the tex.
p.s, sorry for the spelling mistakes................ I <3 school haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts