Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a frequent lurker since buying and fixing up a 2007 GTI (2.0T FSI) for my fiancee. This month, I've come back to visit her and her new daily driver. To my horror, there is a high pitch, squeaking noise from the driver's side rear wheel (videos below):
youtu.be/u5BFP4Wy-2Y
youtu.be/VVWIPpKZgiA

The noise oscillates with vehicle speed. It actually is NOT heard when I brake. I don't think that there's been any kind of accident or damage to the vehicle while she's had it. I don't remember hearing it during any of the 3-4 months after I initially bought the car and fixed it up, including swapping out all 4 sets of rotors and brake pads.

Until I can get this car back to my home and on a lift, any ideas what might be causing the sound? Dust shield rubbing against the rotor? Stuck caliper pin? Other?

Thanks in advance for any clues.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been a frequent lurker since buying and fixing up a 2007 GTI (2.0T FSI) for my fiancee. This month, I've come back to visit her and her new daily driver. To my horror, there is a high pitch, squeaking noise from the driver's side rear wheel (videos below):
youtu.be/u5BFP4Wy-2Y
youtu.be/VVWIPpKZgiA

The noise oscillates with vehicle speed. It actually is NOT heard when I brake. I don't think that there's been any kind of accident or damage to the vehicle while she's had it. I don't remember hearing it during any of the 3-4 months after I initially bought the car and fixed it up, including swapping out all 4 sets of rotors and brake pads.

Until I can get this car back to my home and on a lift, any ideas what might be causing the sound? Dust shield rubbing against the rotor? Stuck caliper pin? Other?

Thanks in advance for any clues.
Update: I've diagnosed the problem. See the small metal notch (red arrow, facing inside surface of rotor) in this picture?

It's a part of the mounting/backing plate that's rubbing against the rotor. I used a soft mallet to tap the backing plate inwards (direction of green arrow) so that the rotor sits more evenly in the groove of the backing plate, and the noise disappeared.

Unfortunately, that fix was only temporary. I'm told that the noise is back (although less prominent than before). I'm thinking about going back in to file down the metal notch at the red arrow. Any suggestions? Or thoughts about whether the plate is safe to remove?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.