Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I really wanna get rid of a little bit of my gap, but I would still like a quality ride. Not worried about a little stiffness, just don't want any bounce. I'm thinking like 1.00"-1.20". Can I get away with just springs, or do I need to look at coilvers? If I go springs, am I gonna ruin my shocks prematurely? I need some advice and opinions, guys. I've heard mention of DriverGear/Eibach that works well with stock shocks. Please help. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
H&R sport or super sport. Gets you a decent drop and stiffens up the ride. Many will say you need to change the shocks soon thereafter, but I have had mine for 23,000 and no problems yet. Others have had good luck too on not having to change out shocks overly quick. Might be luck of the draw, no guarantees. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H&R sport or super sport. Gets you a decent drop and stiffens up the ride. Many will say you need to change the shocks soon thereafter, but I have had mine for 23,000 and no problems yet. Others have had good luck too on not having to change out shocks overly quick. Might be luck of the draw, no guarantees. Good luck.
Thanks, Teach. Checked out a great DIY with the H&Rs and I think that's the way to go. Props on the Thruxton, cool little scooter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know I'm way late to the party on this, but I'd suggest the Volkswagen Racing springs. They lower about an inch and designed for use with stock struts.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know I'm way late to the party on this, but I'd suggest the Volkswagen Racing springs. They lower about an inch and designed for use with stock struts.
I dunno man I've heard some BAAAAD things about the VWR Springs, the consensus seems to be that if you want to drop it a little without the bounce, the cheapest way to go is coilovers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which coilovers? The least expensive I've seen is the Koni set-up that Allset/Supreme Power is running a sale on at $975. Granted, I haven't been shopping coilovers...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry hooligan I never replied. Maybe by now you already did whatever you were gonna do... but I can't find any negative reviews for the DG springs with stock shocks, drops it almost an inch, stifens the ride a little, you're only out less than $250. this is only if you weren't going for (and I apologize in advance for this) "moar low". If so, on modbargain.com. the ST coilovers are $795 with $30 shipping.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dunno man I've heard some BAAAAD things about the VWR Springs, the consensus seems to be that if you want to drop it a little without the bounce, the cheapest way to go is coilovers.
Thaswaddamgonnadu, Summiz. Gonna go with the H&R super sports. I just don't like the thought of constantly having you shocks preloaded. Also, I keep hearing people just being a little let down by the 1"-1 1/2" drop...they kinda crave a little more after a week or so. Super sports are adjustable, and it just seems like the proper way to do it. You like that? A year later I come to this conclusion. Lol, just really haven't had the $ till now.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Thaswaddamgonnadu, Summiz. Gonna go with the H&R super sports. I just don't like the thought of constantly having you shocks preloaded. Also, I keep hearing people just being a little let down by the 1"-1 1/2" drop...they kinda crave a little more after a week or so. Super sports are adjustable, and it just seems like the proper way to do it. You like that? A year later I come to this conclusion. Lol, just really haven't had the $ till now.
Bags or bust!

·
Registered
541 Posts
From the reviews I'm reading it can get a little bouncy but be sure to report back on how you feel about the ride... if its tolerable, then hey, good deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts