Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i've been driving an automatic car for a while (Land Cruiser) but wanting to switch to a smaller car and manual cause it just feels boring to drive automatic....

anyways my question is noobish but everyone was too

When your driving and say your in third but you have to slow down, can you just let go of the gas and decelerate or do you have to press in the clutch when you let go of the gas?

I read somewhere that you had to press the clutch but i just wanted to clerify it a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
u can jus let ur foot of the gas, if u drop below 2k in rpms u probably wanna press the clutch and put it into second. U can cruise in gear w/o ur foot on either gas or brake pedal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah just ruise along at like 30mph or something...
yeah i know that you would want to put the car in netral before you stop and stuff but wanted to make the whole "cruising point clear"

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you are just slowing down, you dont have to depress the clutch...UNLESS you are in too high of a gear for that speed. In that case, you're going to have to downshift, put it in neutral, or keep the clutch in (a or b preferably). It's intuitive really. Once you get the basics...the rest is just practice. Learning what gear you should be in after you slow down, knowing when to downshift. All of it will come in time once you get used to the car. It's not something you can portray easily through text.

If you have a friend or family member who knows how to drive a stick, let them teach you. Having realtime feedback on your habbits is the best way to learn. They can tell you what you're doing wrong and how to fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.