My Fast GTi banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll...

im kinda freakin out bout this. I went driving w/ friends yesterday, i was washing my car afterwards and looked at the brake disc, it has a groove cut into it, bout an 1 inch from the edge, i have a depth gauge at work, so i will measure it on tuesday. I'm wonderin what caused it and would warrenty cover it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm guessing that at some point you got a rock stuck in
your caliper and it wore that groove into your disc.

I wouldn't expect it to be covered by a warranty. I could
be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much of a big deal is it? do u think the rock is still there?

·
Registered
277 Posts
As far as break performance you won't see anything neg. Could the rock still be in there, maybe but I doubt it. if you are really worried just pop off the caliper and check the pad....

When it's time for breaks you'll just have to get the rotors turned down, or replaced depending how deep the groove really is....

No, this won't be covered under warranty unless you are slick with swindle'n the maint. dept.......I'd give it a shot (how many miles/how long have you had it?) If it's time for new breaks it could be the break tab dig'n into the rotor, but you'd hear the squeal....

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't really see how a rock could get between the disc and the pad. The gap between them is barely wide enough to slide a sheet of paper in. Even if a tiny rock did get in there, it shouldn't do much damage to the disk. Brake discs are made of a high carbon steel with is very hard. The rock would have to be harder than that steel in order to do any noticable damage.

If you want to see how this works, try hitting a rock with a hammer and see which one shatters. Chances are, you won't even have a mark on your hammer from the rock.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm...... i got the car used (privately sold) last wednesday it had 6300 miles on it. But i didnt notice the groove, i wasnt looking at it though. Im going to work 2moro, soo i will check it depth, w/ a depth gauge and ask a couple of people at work, who are all into cars and shit.

i didnt think it would have that much effect on brakin, jus a lil worried. Can never be to careful, u know how it is new parent and all to my gti, can never be to over protective

1 - 6 of 6 Posts