Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first of this site has already helped me a great deal with my problem so thank you.

so i have a 2006 mk5 with 45000 miles and i love it, the greatest purchase of my life. anyway about 4 months ago i got the ignition coil recall done and shortly thereafter my "your fuxed" light came on, i was getting misfires in several cylinders and my car was running like crap. i brought it to my local dealer believing they messed up the repair.

so the guy comeback and tells me my Valve cover was cracked and needed to be replaced along with my plugs and gaskets because oil was dripping on the plugs and there is oil sitting on the cover. He offered to fix it for a lump sum of 1300$ HA!.

I have more time than money right now so i took on the repair myself and thanks to a DIY on this site have my engine stripped. Surprise, surprise once i got the cover out there was no crack whatsoever and was like new. The gasket however had hard spots along the edges and looked "stretched out" so i figure that's the issue and have one on order.

My questions are as follow
Could the issue of all started when someone messed up the ignition coils?
Should i go back to the dealership and ask them where the crack is (knowing full well there is not one)?
Lastly and most importantly, can you clean/disassemble a injection coil/ cylinder are that they go into? they are covered in burnt sticky oil.

Thanks for any help I can get

VW love

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Hi guys, first of this site has already helped me a great deal with my problem so thank you.

so i have a 2006 mk5 with 45000 miles and i love it, the greatest purchase of my life. anyway about 4 months ago i got the ignition coil recall done and shortly thereafter my "your fuxed" light came on, i was getting misfires in several cylinders and my car was running like crap. i brought it to my local dealer believing they messed up the repair.

so the guy comeback and tells me my Valve cover was cracked and needed to be replaced along with my plugs and gaskets because oil was dripping on the plugs and there is oil sitting on the cover. He offered to fix it for a lump sum of 1300$ HA!.

I have more time than money right now so i took on the repair myself and thanks to a DIY on this site have my engine stripped. Surprise, surprise once i got the cover out there was no crack whatsoever and was like new. The gasket however had hard spots along the edges and looked "stretched out" so i figure that’s the issue and have one on order.

Should i go back to the dealership and ask them where the crack is (knowing full well there is not one)?
Lastly and most importantly, can you clean/disassemble a injection coil/ cylinder are that they go into? they are covered in burnt sticky oil.

VW love
Well there might be a hair line fracture i. The valve cover. So reall loom.hard for that. But for the cleaning i would wait until it os all back.together and slap some seafoam in it. Read the bottle for directions.

USING MY PHONE BYTCHES

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts

I have more time than money right now so i took on the repair myself and thanks to a DIY on this site have my engine stripped. Surprise, surprise once i got the cover out there was no crack whatsoever and was like new. The gasket however had hard spots along the edges and looked "stretched out" so i figure that's the issue and have one on order.

VW love
did you find this when you took it apart?

i think the dealer f'ed something up or gave you bad coils and they dont want to change them again

to make sure ur valve cover is good

take it to a machine shop and they can check it for you

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
sounds to me like they 1 pryed on the valve cover to get the coils out or 2. loosened it some how?

My bet is it just wasn't seated correctly, I would check it closely for cracks, clean it really well and look for them.

Then get a new gasket and LINE IT UP EXACTLY STRAIGHT, tighten the bolts down in the correct order to keep the gasket from getting kinked, I had the same issue on my zx9-r that has spark coilpacks through the valve cover. The gasket was kinked where it met the head and oil was filling the coil pack cylinder and exiting the weep hole infront of the motor.

You can use a lint free rag to clean out those cylinders for the coils, I would leave the spark plugs in, then clean the cylinders, then blow it out with compressed air/computer parts cleaner. then use a long q-tip to get down the bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts