Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the pedals being very close together there has been several complaints. I actually have better control. what's your thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Heel to Toe

The MkV is only the second car (technically third but the second was just a one time thing) I drove, and I think the pedal placement is great, compared to what I learned to drive on (a Volvo V70 Station Wagon). The responsiveness of everything is great too. Guess thats the difference between a sporty hatch and a Midget Minivan ;)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

My only complaint would be the short-ness of the clutch and the overall heaviness. I think the placement is fine, and I have size 13 feet.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

Make sure that you're not covering both pedals (brake and gas) at the same time except when you actually pivot and make the effort to "blip" the throttle... Otherwise you could end up with a very expensive trip through the woods. Some people try to get away with the "roll" technique, and 99.9% of the time it'll be fine, but that .01% could get you in trouble. Brakes are always unpredictable when you least expect it. I drove a bunch of cars last weekend that had carbon/ceramic brakes, and they make it better, but still not perfect. Be safe.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Thalo said:
My only complaint would be the short-ness of the clutch and the overall heaviness. I think the placement is fine, and I have size 13 feet.
I bet thats a pickup line that you use on the ladies... "My fast wears size 13 shoes" ;) LOL!

#dp

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

After about a week and a half I've really gotten a hold of it. Car feels like I've been driving it for years. I can manage to launch it without any "pre-gassing" and no more shall my passengers hit their heads on the dash when I shift from 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Can someone please post some good links or videos or something to watch to learn how to heal and toe? This GTI is the first manual car ive owned (not driven). Im really good at everything else - except getting my fast to take off from a stop on a steep hill (stalled it a few times already) but I may just start using the handbrake to help with that.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

Aslander said:
Can someone please post some good links or videos or something to watch to learn how to heal and toe? This GTI is the first manual car ive owned (not driven). Im really good at everything else - except getting my fast to take off from a stop on a steep hill (stalled it a few times already) but I may just start using the handbrake to help with that.
Don't go about this wrong... You just need more confidence in the actual mechanics of the process. Heel/Toe is not what you're looking for. You're looking to just become more proficient with the manual trans.. Just practice in an industrial park type area until you feel comfortable, don't rely on the handbrake. Go to an empty area, after you feel more comfortable with the stick, with a slight incline and work on it there. It shouldn't be an issue whether you're on a hill or straight and flat, you just need practice. You can watch all the videos you want, but it won't help. Just go out there and work on it!

·
Registered
148 Posts

Aslander said:
If you can't even get the car going on an uphill, you need more practice before even thinking about heel toe-ing. Find an uphill in a development or something and practice there. Don't be afraid to give it gas and slip on the clutch more than normal

Good luck, man. Once you get that down pat and have a few months of driving a manual under your belt, I'd be glad to help with heel toe ;D

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

thisistoto said:
what is heel to toe anywho?
It's just called "heel - toe", and it's a technique used to match revs on the downshift as to not create any additional resistance from the motor so you don't upset the balance of the car on entry to a corner. You want to have full control of the balance of the car from the brake, not the motor. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
148 Posts

It is a way to downshift. You brake, rev match, and downshift all at once. You have all three pedals pushed in.

·
Registered
37 Posts

question? when you are done doing the whole process, clutch, brake, throttle and downshift you are suppose to be done and in the lower gear before the turn or in the middle of the turn? im assumeing before the turn right.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
148 Posts

Never do anything other than steer or accelerate during a turn.

Unless you're trail braking, but that's pretty advanced and dangerous at high speeds.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

Bboy AJ said:
Never do anything other than steer or accelerate during a turn.

Unless you're trail braking, but that's pretty advanced and dangerous at high speeds.
I gotta disagree on a couple of different levels on this one...
Steering is an obvious yes while in a corner. If you're still adding steering, NO acceleration (we could get advanced on this, but a good rule of thumb). I disagree that trail braking is dangerous at high speeds. Trail braking is essential in any corner, in any car (again, we could get into this for hours or days). If trail braking feels like it might become dangerous, it means that you've entered the corner at too high of a speed. Many many different variables concerning proper cornering techniques. I'm only trying to clarify what you said. No offense.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Nope, no offense taken. You did clarify what I was trying to say. I was trying to make it as simple as I could. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I think you guys should write some sort of guide on the heel toe, and trail braking etc.... Keep this section of the forum alive anyways. But yea i've never done heel toe I guess I'll try it out sometime soon, I've been driving stick for almost 4 years, how hard can it be ;D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.