Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read somewhere that the brake pedal travels so deep under hard braking that it makes it really hard to do heel & toe(more like side of your foot & toe) for the GTI MK5. I was wondering if there was any modifications(better brake lines maybe? or put something on the brake pedal to make it thicker?) I could do to make it so it's better at doing heel & toe. Being able to do this or not would be a big factor for me to go DSG or manual. Has anyone really had problems with the GTI MK5 when using heel & toe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've never had a problem heel/toeing with my GTI. It might be a little different than other cars you've driven but you just have to adjust like we all did. As far as deciding on the dsg or not. I went with the 6 speed, because it's cheaper, less prone to breaking because there's only one clutch, and there's somthing about taking away the shifter that took some of the fun away from driving. If you're going to do a lot of autocrossing it might be better to have the dsg, then again I only drove the dsg once.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i try to heal and toe and usually end up not using the brake enough. i need to start doing it on a straight, mastering that, then using it on a turn. rather than jus diving in the deep end

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
School is in session...!!!!!

Heel/Toe is just an idea in it's name. Do not worry about HAVING to use your heel. Very few can in street cars. I personally use the top side of my right foot in almost all street cars (when I say top I mean anywhere from the laces down to the sole). You shouldn't have to move your knee in an uncomfortable fashion while doing this technique either.

This technique is ONLY useful in a straight line, while braking, prior to turning into the corner. If you're not using it in this manner you're just not using it in a performance manner... It's still smoother to rev a bit on a normal downshift, but you're really only impressing yourself and not performing any performance maneuver.

It really isn't THAT easy to learn, but with a ton of practice it becomes easier (and I'm talking about doing it properly before I get a bunch of "I've been doing it for years" crap!)

Let me know some of the issues other than brake pedal travel that you guys have while doing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i try to heal and toe and usually end up not using the brake enough. i need to start doing it on a straight, mastering that, then using it on a turn. rather than jus diving in the deep end
You shouldn't be doing in a turn anyways, all braking should be done before the turn. For my heel and toeing I just use the side of my foot not my heel. It's one of these things that the more you do the more natural it becomes and the smoother you get.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
You shouldn't be doing in a turn anyways, all braking should be done before the turn. For my heel and toeing I just use the side of my foot not my heel. It's one of these things that the more you do the more natural it becomes and the smoother you get.
NOOOOOOOO!!! Please take back the "all braking should be done before the turn" comment. I really need to write a book...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heel and Toe...I keep promising myself that I will be able to do it one day.

I too opted for the 6spd over the DSG for maintenance, cost and fun to drive reasons. I have promised to myself that the GTI will be the car I finally learn to heel/toe on.

So any pointers on the basics? When I am driving normally, my heel stays on the floor as kind of a pivot point and only the top of my foot moves to press the brake/gas pedal. Is this ideal for heel/toe? When I try it, I sometimes feel the urge to have my foot 'in the air' sort of like how my left leg presses on the clutch. This of course results in me braking like I have never driven a car before. I am trying to adapt heel toe into my normal driving to help me learn it.

Any one else out there struggling? Any pointers for a heel/toe newb?

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Recommendation: Do not try this on a street with traffic.

I watched a few YouTube videos, and maybe read an article on Wikipedia or something, then decided I knew what I was doing. Coming up to a stoplight I decided to "heel-toe" downshift, 5th to 3rd gear. Well I over-revved which caused me to speed up when i let the clutch out, then I was also hitting the brake as well, due to the rapidly approaching red light, which caused my car to lurch. I ended up stalled, as I forgot to press the clutch back in after stuttering to a stop. I felt like i was 15 and it was the first day of Driver's Ed.
I now have it pretty well mastered, but damn, it was a steep learning curve for me

·
Registered
13 Posts
I actually got a booklet from VW with a Fast on the front... and it "teaches" you how to do "Heel to Toe".

Funny thing is.. I have DSG.
I am really interested in where you got this booklet from, and how did you get it.

Can we see? :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Heel and Toe...I keep promising myself that I will be able to do it one day.

I too opted for the 6spd over the DSG for maintenance, cost and fun to drive reasons. I have promised to myself that the GTI will be the car I finally learn to heel/toe on.

So any pointers on the basics? When I am driving normally, my heel stays on the floor as kind of a pivot point and only the top of my foot moves to press the brake/gas pedal. Is this ideal for heel/toe? When I try it, I sometimes feel the urge to have my foot 'in the air' sort of like how my left leg presses on the clutch. This of course results in me braking like I have never driven a car before. I am trying to adapt heel toe into my normal driving to help me learn it.

Any one else out there struggling? Any pointers for a heel/toe newb?
best way to start is by rev-matching your downshifts. wait a week or two before you try to incorporate the braking into the equation. once you get a feel for it, it's just a matter of how to position your foot. i've noticed that the 'fly by wire' throttle has a little lag in the reaction time when you "blip" the throttle. that definitely takes some getting used to as the timing is half the game here. i already was doing pretty good in my other car with a mechanical throttle, now i have to start almost from scratch with the gti.

advice: NEVER do this in a traffic situation where you could slip off the brake and wreck someone. if you're the first in line for the light, go for it, but make sure you stop a little short, just in case. turning adds another whole element to this and should be worked in after you've mastered stopping in a straight line. take it easy and learn at your own pace. some people make it look simple and it's really fairly complicated in practice.

funny story: after i got the basics down in my (street legal) racecar, i was doing it every time i drove it. i was going around a corner and doing the old heel-toe and there were people staring at me. at first i was all, "yeah, respect my madd skillz, bishes!" and continued on to my house. when i got there, i smelled coolant. yeah, they were watching a giant smoke cloud from a burst upper radiator hose, not my impressive downshifting. oops! i'm glad the fix was a simple one...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've noticed that the 'fly by wire' throttle has a little lag in the reaction time when you "blip" the throttle. that definitely takes some getting used to as the timing is half the game here. i already was doing pretty good in my other car with a mechanical throttle, now i have to start almost from scratch with the gti.

s3aturnr
I found that I put the little Sprint booster in my car and it really helped with the lag in the blip, it made it much easier to hit the right revs, before having to come off the clutch.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Remember guys and gals, heel/toe should (almost) ALWAYS be done in a straight line if you're practicing proper driving techniques. If we're talking about efficiency there is no argument about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.