Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong thread for this because I can't find any posts, but does anyone else seem to have a slow heater? I start my car and it takes a good 20 minutes or longer for the engine to get warm enough to turn on the heater. I know I can put on the recirculate air thing to get it warmer faster, but I've never had a car that took so long to get warm AND IT'S BEEN FREEZING HERE IN VIRGINIA! Anyone else have notice this too?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
im from nj and its cold so it takes my car about 15 min to warm up so you dont have a problem its the cold weather that is making the cars take a while to warm up. In the summer it will take less than 5 min to warm up. But it's like 10 degrees out so yes we are gonna have to wait.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The more you mod your engine such as intake, exhaust, etc. The longer it will take to warm up because those products are designed to keep the engine temperature down. Thus maximizing HP and performance. But nothing warms up a car faster than driving fast.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UnitedGrayGTi06 said:
The more you mod your engine such as intake, exhaust, etc. The longer it will take to warm up because those products are designed to keep the engine temperature down. Thus maximizing HP and performance. But nothing warms up a car faster than driving fast.
Yeah, I thought it was slow to warm up because it's such a great engine, I've never had a car close to this by comparison so I wasn't positive....and I do try to get it warmer by going faster but it's been so cold that I've been warming it up before taking off. It's been really cold here, in the single digits.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah you should definetly let the engine run for a few minutes before driving it when it is really cold. It will make it run smoother and last longer.

P.S. And your the first female fast owner I've talked to in this site. Welcome aboard!

+1 Karma for you! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I think it warms up relatively quickly at -20. I've been in cars that take longer to warm up. My old Jetta was a bit quicker though. I always turn the seat warmers up to 5 when I start up the car cause those always warm up first.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
O those seat warmers are the best. When i start driving my car in the morning i crank the seat warmer up to 5 also. Its a great invention and every car should have one.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
UnitedGrayGTi06 said:
Yeah you should definetly let the engine run for a few minutes before driving it when it is really cold. It will make it run smoother and last longer.

P.S. And your the first female fast owner I've talked to in this site. Welcome aboard!

+1 Karma for you! ;)
Karma Abuse! Karma Abuse!

·
Registered
573 Posts
fastgirl said:
UnitedGrayGTi06 said:
Yeah, I thought it was slow to warm up because it's such a great engine, I've never had a car close to this by comparison so I wasn't positive....and I do try to get it warmer by going faster but it's been so cold that I've been warming it up before taking off. It's been really cold here, in the single digits.
Get a remote start. I start my car from the comfort of a warm house while getting ready. you can set them to run for 5, 10, 15, etc before shutting off. Problem solved. Given the change from 5 to 40W does not occur until the vehicle (oil) is warm, you could really stress your turbo driving it cold, or even worse "driving it faster to get it to warm up sooner".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the karma UnitedGrey! I was wondering how I ended up with some points on there! Yeah, I always thought it's good for the car to let the engine warm up before taking off, so I've been really good about it.
I thought about getting a remote start, but it's really not a big deal to run out and start it up...I kind of find it a refreshing way to wake up in the morning ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Doesn't the heater on this car recycle heat from the engine? I know some cars have electric auxiliary heaters that kick in until the engine is warm. I guess this isn't one of them. Anyway, i'm in Northern NY and it has been about -10F every morning when I go to start my Fast. I never wait for it to warm up completely though. That would take about 30 minutes. So I just drive very gently until the needle starts to move.

BTW - This thing actually handles pretty well in the snow. Yay for hand brakes!!! >:D

·
Registered
749 Posts
I read once long ago that easy driving is actually the best way to warm up a car. It get's the oil moving around better and heats it up faster, but still doesn't stress the moving parts much.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good idea. I think everyone hates civics. The only people who like them are people who put those stupid coffee can mufflers on, and think that their fast all of a sudden. But then again there is a civic in MD that has 950 HP at the wheels and runs 6 second quarters. But its not stock by a long shot. So it isn't really a civic anymore.

·
Registered
573 Posts
A 950 HP Civic stopped being a Civic a long time ago. If I were to strap a freakin jet engine to my GTI to give it thousands of horsepower, is it still a GTI?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts