Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just thought of something i used to do on motorcycles and hotrods. have you guys ever heard of heat wrapping the down pipe and midpipes and intake pipes with exhaust wrap? i think i'm gonna do mine because i used to drop about 45 degrees on v8's and about 20-30 on hondas. so i think i'm gonna try it on the vdubya. what do you guys think?

newbie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
newbie05 said:
hey i just thought of something i used to do on motorcycles and hotrods. have you guys ever heard of heat wrapping the down pipe and midpipes and intake pipes with exhaust wrap? i think i'm gonna do mine because i used to drop about 45 degrees on v8's and about 20-30 on hondas. so i think i'm gonna try it on the vdubya. what do you guys think?

newbie
It couldn't hurt O0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
that actually does sound like a good idea. what do you wrap? the downpipe and the exhaust all the way down or just the downpipe? and where can you get exhaust wrap and for how much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i'm gonna wrap anything around the turbo i can. down pipe (no further back than that though), try to wrap the turbo itself, midpipe, and any intake piping near the turbo. well stateside you can get heat/exhaust wrap from autozone or advance auto. or you can go to summitracing.com and get it from them too. a 2inch x 50 foot roll cost around 48 bucks american. i'm gonna do it sometime this week. when i get it done and find my dang camera i'll post pics of my intake and my heat wrap.

later,

newbie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
newbie05 said:
well i'm gonna wrap anything around the turbo i can. down pipe (no further back than that though), try to wrap the turbo itself, midpipe, and any intake piping near the turbo. well stateside you can get heat/exhaust wrap from autozone or advance auto. or you can go to summitracing.com and get it from them too. a 2inch x 50 foot roll cost around 48 bucks american. i'm gonna do it sometime this week. when i get it done and find my dang camera i'll post pics of my intake and my heat wrap.

later,

newbie
Remember- it's gonna be way hotter than the exhaust on a NA engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Would also be a good idea to think about what wrapping the turbo might do to it. That heat doesn't just disappear into thin air. If it can't get out by radiation, it's gotta be retained by the turbo. Not saying it'll fry, but something to consider and watch out for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
Yeah, wrapping the turbo itself would probably be a bad idea in my opinion since its spooling and getting way hotter than most of the pieces of the piping. That heat needs to escape and by wrapping it you are keeping the turbo hotter for an extended period of time, which after a while will fry the turbo.

I know of plenty of guys that wrap their pipes but none have ever wrapped the turbo itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys that's a good point. i didn't think about that. i've got a large oil cooler on the car and i've ordered the front mount intercooler, but that's still a good point not to wrap the turbo. i'm gonna do it this weekend and i'm buying a new camera because i still can't find mine. :mad: but thanks for the help.

later,

newb :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
dvlsplygrnd said:
I know of plenty of guys that wrap their pipes but none have ever wrapped the turbo itself.
Hey! We're talkin' 'bout cars here! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
On my dsm's I always wrapped the exhaust manifold, down pipe, and flex pipe. I also put a heat shield on the turbo itself as well as wrapping the intake piping. You can drop major intake temps this way. I say go for it. The wrap will not burn or melt because it is designed for these high temps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
Trky said:
On my dsm's I always wrapped the exhaust manifold, down pipe, and flex pipe. I also put a heat shield on the turbo itself as well as wrapping the intake piping. You can drop major intake temps this way. I say go for it. The wrap will not burn or melt because it is designed for these high temps.
I had a great discussion with a race engineer on wrapping the intake. He said that if the intake is made of metal with the exception of Ti , that wrapping the intake would make a negligible difference, due to the speed and volume of air entering the intake under load.

The intake is affected by both conductive heat and radiant heat. If the intake was made with an aluminum covered carbon fibre: that could make a difference O0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
I've had a heat wrap on my neuspeed for over a year now. It does make a difference. I know neuspeed has one out but they want $300 for it . They use it on the Indy cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
I thought we were talking about the foil-covered insulating tape which would protect against both conductive and randiant heat--ESPECIALLY if your intake is made of metal, which, without the tape would conduct heat into the intake air. However, I just can't imagine that much difference considering how little time the intake air spends in the intake tube. Regardless of what material the intake is made of, how much heat could the air possibly absorb in the couple hundred milliseconds between the filter and the turbo? Now, if you have an aftermarket intake without the CAI extension, you're pulling air out of the engine bay. You can cool that air pretty effectively by wrapping the exhaust, which does add mucho heat to the engine bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we're talking about the fiberglass kinda stuff. like a cargo strap almost, gets fuzz everywhere when you go to use it. brownish or black in color. at least thats what i'm talking about. i'm not talking about that aluminum foil looking junk that comes halfway on there stock.

later,

newb
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,311 Posts
blackgti06 said:
I've had a heat wrap on my neuspeed for over a year now. It does make a difference. I know neuspeed has one out but they want $300 for it . They use it on the Indy cars.
How do you notice a difference? Measured w/ vag-com?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top