Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Headlight swap

5K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  fastgti 
#1 ·
First time poster on a forum... I unfortunately hit a deer which, among other things, broke the housing on my driver side headlight. Since the headlight needs replacing I decided now would be as good a time as any to change the look a little, I didn't want to give up the bi xenon so I bought the Spyder projector headlights in hopes that I could take the guts out of my stock headlights and put them in the new housing. Has anyone done this or know if it will work?

#12 ·
There is damage to one of them. I do like the OEM lights but I want something darker. If they sold the OEM in a black I would have gotten those, but as far as I could tell they don't.

I did however buy the ones I mentioned early in the link; and after installing the OEM xenons into these new ones, the inner halogen doesn't work for high beam. I know in the stock setup the only way to turn that one is to have the hand brake on and pull on the stalk for FTP. There is a permanent cut of on the xenon bulb which makes it only low beam and the support guy assured me they had done something with the wiring to make the H7 bulb act as high beam, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So I'm going to need to have someone with vag com to make the changes for the headlights to work properly.

And on that note... Is it illegal to have all six lights on at the same time? And will a regular dealer be able to put me in UK mode so I can have the high beams? Or am I going to have to find somebody else.

#13 · (Edited)
There is damage to one of them. I do like the OEM lights but I want something darker. If they sold the OEM in a black I would have gotten those, but as far as I could tell they don't.

I did however buy the ones I mentioned early in the link; and after installing the OEM xenons into these new ones, the inner halogen doesn't work for high beam. I know in the stock setup the only way to turn that one is to have the hand brake on and pull on the stalk for FTP. There is a permanent cut of on the xenon bulb which makes it only low beam and the support guy assured me they had done something with the wiring to make the H7 bulb act as high beam, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So I'm going to need to have someone with vag com to make the changes for the headlights to work properly.

And on that note... Is it illegal to have all six lights on at the same time? And will a regular dealer be able to put me in UK mode so I can have the high beams? Or am I going to have to find somebody else.
Take the oem ones apart and paint them. Teh chr!s and i did that to mine

#15 ·
How hard is it to pull apart and paint? i had a buddy that had done that on a subie and it looked sick and i was thinking about doing it to mine but haven't gotten around to it yet. is it difficult?
Its not hard. Just takes some time because of the silicone on there is thick

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#17 ·
#19 ·
Sweet i'll have to do that when i get the time to sit down and do it. do you have to mask off anywhere other than the lenses? like to not disrupt the auto leveling stuff?
No. When you start to open it you take out the lights and wires before using An oven. City lights are the only ceome parts you can not paint. The light uses the crome as a reflection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.