Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my passenger side headlight went out the other day and I replaced the bulb. I have 6k HID's. I have noticed that sometimes when I'm driving, the passenger side headlight would randomly turn off. If I turn my lights on and off several times, the passenger side light MIGHT turn back on, otherwise it's just pure luck that it ever works.

What's happening? ;[

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
try switching the ballast form the bad side to the to other side

if the headlight that turns off follows the ballast then you need a new ballast

if not then its probably a lack of power to the ballast

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where can i get new ballast? and how much would that cost?

and should there be a direct connection from my car's battery to the ballast? because right now the only connection is the positive/negative connection right by the bulb

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
check out DDMTuning.com for hid deals

i run a HID wiring harness

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Any chance your car's still under warranty? I had exactly the same problem when my MkV was new, luckily got it fixed in the first year then never had the problem again. Dealer tried all sorts of stuff, including new bulbs, ballasts and such then found the entire headlight contraption was just defective and replaced it. Based on the fact that the light works some of the time, I would guess you have a similar problem.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car isn't under warranty, i don't think. I'm going to the dealership to get some recall things fixed, but that's all i know.

I'll check the ballast today. For the record, I believe THIS is the kit that's in my car.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay i just tried switching the ballasts. the passenger side now has a higher chance of being on, however it still goes out whenever it feels like it; or if there's a bump in the road...?
THALO: how long did it take him to change the headlight contraption and how much do you think that would cost me? is it just the headlight itself or is there more wiring/components to it?

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
thalo had a mkv with stock HID

you have a mkiv with aftermarket HID system

too very different systems

if the same side keeps going out even after the ballast where changed

its most likely a wiring problem

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...what do i do with a wiring problem? lmao.

dealership...? ;[

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
check it lol

make sure all the wires, plugs are ok

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
thalo had a mkv with stock HID

you have a mkiv with aftermarket HID system

too very different systems

if the same side keeps going out even after the ballast where changed

its most likely a wiring problem
Yeah, that's right. Didn't bother to check his avatar pic, thought he had a MkV.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Have you checked the terminals on your battery?

Just the other day my hids were flickering/going out and coming back on intermittently

the negative terminal on my battery was loose but after tightening/hammering it down i havent had that problem again.

just a thought

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you checked the terminals on your battery?

Just the other day my hids were flickering/going out and coming back on intermittently

the negative terminal on my battery was loose but after tightening/hammering it down i havent had that problem again.

just a thought
I LOVE YOU. I'm almost certain that's the problem.
My negative cable is hella loose and my only "fix" is putting a nail in between my terminal and terminal tips. i'm getting a new battery cable this weekend, so let's hope that fixes it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If that isn't is check to see if the wiring harness behind the headlight in loose. Mine was doing what you said until i checked that and saw it was Half plugged in. Fully plugged it in "Click" haven't had a problem since

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright so i fixed my battery cable and terminals and that's not the problem.
Today I will try this:
If that isn't is check to see if the wiring harness behind the headlight in loose. Mine was doing what you said until i checked that and saw it was Half plugged in. Fully plugged it in "Click" haven't had a problem since

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay i just tried everything. my headlight doesn't stay on for more than a minute, if it even lasts that long.

any chance this could be the bulb i bought? idk what else to do other than try replacing the headlight itself...

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
did you try swapping the ballast like i said?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
ok so try swapping the bulbs

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got the bulb replaced by a local shop under warranty. New bulb still has problems. Unplugging and replugging positive and negative usually help the headlight stay on, but it goes out shortly after, even when the car is idling and we aren't touching anything. Help???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts