Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wich one is better REVO or the abd wich is an GIAC one?????

im concern and i dont know wich direction to take.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why ask when you seem to have already made the decision? ;D

I'm guessing when I say this, but I bet all the software upgrades are pretty similar.

As a programmer that deals with reverse engineering, I'm sure the engine control has paramaters, the software just changes those parameters. Dirt simple. The process to get the most power is probably somthing like; make a change, run a dyno, make a change, run a dyno, make a change, run a dyno, make a change run a dyno, ooops, we blew the engine, take out that change and try a different one, run a dyno, and so on and so forth. I'm sure that they make very educated decisions on what parameters to change. They might even write software that dynamicly changes the parameters in real time based on sensor feedback.

Bottom line, I'd bet all the tuners put thier best minds on it, follow a similar process, and probably end up with a similar results.

That being said, I'd reccomend picking a tuner based on thier reputation for standing behind thier work, not advertised dyno numbers. Either way, your fast will go faster :)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think it really depends on what company decal you want on the side of your car, unless you're making a sleeper . . . in which case I second silencer.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
from what i heard the REVO chip has a way better power band then the APR chip. i have not heard much about the GIAC chip but its not available in my area anyway from what i know so doesnt really make a difference to me. and considering the APR chip is 600 bucks and the revo chip is 500 bucks... i would go with revo. just my opinion... anyone know what the GIAC chip is priced at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the GIAC chip is allmost 600 ..plus the shops labor..thats what abd put on their fasr for the tuner callenge that beat the new mustang and the honda fit....it came out the speed channel..so im guessing is worth it....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
so the APR and GIAC chips are each 600 (PS they dont charge labor for chips) and the REVO is 500 bucks... looks like im still on the REVO side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
APR has 2 versions, 91 and 93 octane. Luckily for me and Jeff in florida we get 93 octane fuel. the 93 octane chip is supposed to give you 252 hp and over 300lbs of torque with no other mods. Id happily pay the extra hundred bucks for that kind of performance. I also had an apr chip in my jetta wolfsburg, and that car was ownage!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Driven at least 2 dozen of APR chipped MkVs and they feel solid, a lot quicker then stock. I havent driven other chipped ones but I've had APR chipped car before that ran great and we havent had a single customer return for a 30day money back guarantee. We've been doing APR flashes at our shop for almost a year and every customer who got a free trial actually purchased the chip same or next day. I just picked up an 07 in 6spd and that will be getting APR tuned sometime this week.

·
Registered
79 Posts
anybody have the general breakdown of the chips all of them are one chip supposed to be harder on an engine than another which is also safer in that concern it seems that revo chips at Standard Revo
bhp 200 250
Torque 207 285
that is from the site for the mkv

91 oct 93 oct
APR chips at 2006 GTI 2.0T 246hp/282lb-ft--- 252hp/303lb-ft Y $599.00

GIAC does not specify numbers just that you get an 18-50hp and 50-85 ft-lbs gain

well it seems that i have answered my question but i still dont know which chip is smoother or which program is less likely to damage the engine before i chip my ride i am doing some serious research its a lease and i dont want to fu-k up my warrenty or any of that stuff so any other help would be appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
APR chip is more conservative and GIAC is more aggressive for the GTi. So if you want your car to live longer, Apr is the one you want to get for safe drive. GIAC has more power and more wild drive than the APR with the similar price, but it might kill your car faster, depends how you drive ( of course fast rite? wahaha) Anyways, APR is the one I recommand.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
GIAC wont hurt yer engine unless you drive it crazy all the time. but even if you drive yer stock motor crazy all the time yer gonna destroy it. REVO is the only one that will mess it up fairly fast. (around 60k miles aproximatly)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts