Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For quite a while I've had a strange vibration that induces a harmonic humming in wet or damp weather at 40 MPH. I've had all the rims checked and the alignment checked and no problems there. It does not change when I rotate the tires either. I've had this for quite a while and no one seems to be able to resolve it. Can anyone suggest anything else to try? I'm down to thinking that perhaps its a bent/warped brake rotor?

I've got a 2003 GTI VR6.

TIA,

Beren

·
Registered
12 Posts
You know what? I have an 03' GTI VR6 also, and i just recently had to change my wheel barrings. I noticed a vibration as i went around turns, and it became constant. I thought it could have been my rotors or my u-joins...it also made a noise in conjunction with the vibration. The VW dealership I go to for service told me that it was my tires, that they weren't on correctly. They're directional tires and they were on right. Then they told me it was my tire tread. But finally I figured out what it was. I had them check it out and it was my barrings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your bearings wouldn't have happend to be squeaking as well would they? Because if they are then I think I just solved 2 problems in one on my GTI!! When I go 0-40 I just hear a squeak squeak squeak from my right front wheel. 40-140 I just hear this osculating sound. Its really deep and is one of those noises that you can hear over everything including a 12 inch sub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your bearings wouldn't have happend to be squeaking as well would they? Because if they are then I think I just solved 2 problems in one on my GTI!! When I go 0-40 I just hear a squeak squeak squeak from my right front wheel. 40-140 I just hear this osculating sound. Its really deep and is one of those noises that you can hear over everything including a 12 inch sub.
I don't recall a squeaking noise, BUT i could hear the noise over my system. Even when I was knockin' hard. I remember slightly feeling it when i was driving as well. Not too bad, but enough to notice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.