Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 GTI that i recently purchased. It has about 98000 miles on it. A few days ago, i had the coolant system serviced, and when i checked if they were going to use the Pink anti-freeze, they said they were using some yellow one instead. It says Mixed Extended Life Antifreeze...a day later, i noticed the car wouldn't go into reverse. Just wondering if the two are related. I checked with the folks who did the servicing and they said they are not...but i checked online and it looks like there may be a chance they might be....was looking for some inputs before i take it to the transmission shop next week, cuz im sure thats going to cost me some!

Thanks!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
you cant mix g12 and regular coolant. If they flushed the system first it should be ok, but they will turn to gelatin if mixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't look they are...but i only checked the Drive & Park...and i wouldnt really be able to tell between the 1-2-3 ones...its parked in my parking garage & i cant get it out to check & very little room to drive forward...i saw the linkage thing on some other sites too, so it could be that...any idea how much its gonna cost be...approx?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Not really sure how much it will cost. Maybe an mkiv ninja will stop by and help.
Paging D, Volcano, Boosted

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i say you need a new trans

vw auto trans suck

could be linkage then the other gears would also be messed up

it just goes up and down

also if i was you i would go get that "yellow" coolant changed, only put G12 or G12 Plus or any other vw coolant (colors are pink, purple, & blue for G11 IIRC)

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
IMO its not the linkage

and most likely not a result of the flush

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same car as you amanda 03 gti turbo
My trans seemed to get worse and worse
It went in reverse sometimes then I have to drive a while and warm my engine to go in reverse
and now 4,5 and reverse dont work and it cost more money to fix the trans then buy the car
(I got it for $8k) vw dealerships are crazy expensive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
seriously!!! thats what i was afraid of....oh man! will be taking it to the transmission shop today, i'm going to avoid the dealership....i got it for about the same amount you did...but obviously its costing me more than that! how many miles does yours have on it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ya I have about 75k on my gti and the problems started around maybe 70k. I think replacing the trans is the only thing to do that is the only solution I got. I couldnt even go pass the second gear this morning. Go to shops or use your network to find a trans shop, the dealership is so expensive but get a 100k guaranty just in case the trans fails...again.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i have heard that even when you rebuild the auto trans, they still fail. and fail a lot sooner then the first time

heard ppl have the most success with a new trans from VW dealer

but these are all things that i have heard/read online

so if you get it rebuild make sure you get warranty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
so i took it to a tranny shop and they said the valve body needs to be replaced & the reverse clutch which has been burned out...estimate about $2500 (max)...The car does reverse if you drive it around for a bit...so here is my question - Does this look right? Also, i am thinking of taking it to another place for another opinion. They said the forward gears are good, so can i drive it around, if i need to take it to another place (~ 5-6 miles), or will it make things worse?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts