Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No two ways about it, the GTi is the best blam-for-the-buck out here, but...well, sorry folks, it's a homely pony...
I'm tempted by the new C30 T5:

2.5 L turbo 5-cylinder
Lists @ CDN $31,995, but optioned like a MkV, it's gonna top $35K...
7.3 L/100 km highway, 11.3 L/100 km city :-\
Horsepower: 218 hp @ 5,000 rpm
Torque: 236 lb. - ft. @ 1,500 - 4,800 rpm
Curb Weight: 1,347Kg.

Some lucky dealer will have to offer me a test drive. 8)

·
Registered
635 Posts
this should never have been posted...a volvo..come on...i dont care if a volvo has 10k HP no one should post a blank VS Volvo post...its a volvo the ugliest POS on the road...I had a friend who was given a volvo and everyone made so much fun of him that he would cry and whine to his parents and then finally 2 months...2 months later he got a new car...the same goes for a saturn...no one should compare those 2 cars to anything...so pathetic...lol...Im not trying to be mean to you its just come on! a volvo??

·
Registered
842 Posts
kylmos said:
this should never have been posted...a volvo..come on...i dont care if a volvo has 10k HP no one should post a blank VS Volvo post...its a volvo the ugliest POS on the road...I had a friend who was given a volvo and everyone made so much fun of him that he would cry and whine to his parents and then finally 2 months...2 months later he got a new car...the same goes for a saturn...no one should compare those 2 cars to anything...so pathetic...lol...Im not trying to be mean to you its just come on! a volvo??
if you can debate a 'mini' on this site, I see no reason why a Volvo can't be discussed - in fact it is a closer competitor to the GTI than the 'mini'.......................

·
Registered
635 Posts
when I see minis i think of british blonde hotties when i see a volvo i think of an old fart mooching off of our hard earned paychecks

·
Registered
263 Posts
volvo needs a turnaround. all their cars as of now are slow and boring. lets hope the hatchback can make the company fast and exciting

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
I've actually always liked Volvos. I dunno why, and you guys might rag on me and all, but it's my opinion.
The older I get, Volvos look better :p

If I lived in snow country- I would consider one as long as it's awd...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am sorry but volvos remind me of old head strongh bags that tailgate you and have large sunglasses and bad colored hair and hooo who cares
now every one whant' s to be a part of fast

posers...

Fast stands for GTI not volvo....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well... :(
I finally got a good look at the C30T5, and it's not nearly as sexy as the ad photog would have us believe. Very much a disappointment.
It would have to significantly outperform the MkV to catch my interest further, which hardly seems likely.
Ah well,
Move along, nothing to see here folks...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yeah, whoever compared that abomination to a GTI and called the GTI homely...I hope you get your presciption updated before you drive that or any other car in my neighborhood.

No offense.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you guys were tlaking about a volvo in 1998, then i would have to agree....but now, Volvo has made that "turn around" mentioned before. The Volvo C30 has an awesome front end (taken from the s40) and a so-so back end. Sound familiar? I just bought my GTI and as much as I love it, i had to name it BOzo. The back end is ugly as hell.

Now for comparison purposes (why we're here right?) the T5 is superior to the 2.0T.

Mod wise, you may not be able to do as much though. Volvo is just starting to come into itself

·
Registered
857 Posts
mygreyfast88 said:
Now for comparison purposes (why we're here right?) the T5 is superior to the 2.0T.
Blasphemy!

Edit*

I did some research to back up my claim. The T5 is a 2.5 liter turbocharged engine, creating 217 hp. The 2.0T is only a 2.0 liter turbocharged engine that produces 200 hp. Another .5 liters for only 17 hp. Definitely not a good engine.
As far as the transmission goes, it's a 5 speed "Geartronic" it doesn't have paddle shifters, and according to Evo Magazine, "But the Geartronic isnÂ't much good at smooth, quick manual downshifts anyway, so itÂ's better to stay in auto"

Also, "The T5 petrol engine is almost the same as the one borrowed from Volvo by Ford for the Focus ST" Don't you dare tell me that a Ford engine is better than a German engineered engine.

Handling: "You wouldnÂ't expect a Volvo to handle with the focus of a sportily optimised Focus, and it doesnÂ't. The steering is lighter, softer, more rubbery"

If you want to read the article from Evo here it is
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/203613/volvo_c30_t5.html
Worst of all, it's freaking hideous.

·
Registered
842 Posts
10bv01 said:
mygreyfast88 said:
Blasphemy!

Edit*

I did some research to back up my claim. The T5 is a 2.5 liter turbocharged engine, creating 217 hp. The 2.0T is only a 2.0 liter turbocharged engine that produces 200 hp. Another .5 liters for only 17 hp. Definitely not a good engine.
As far as the transmission goes, it's a 5 speed "Geartronic" it doesn't have paddle shifters, and according to Evo Magazine, "But the Geartronic isnÂ't much good at smooth, quick manual downshifts anyway, so itÂ's better to stay in auto"

Also, "The T5 petrol engine is almost the same as the one borrowed from Volvo by Ford for the Focus ST" Don't you dare tell me that a Ford engine is better than a German engineered engine.

Handling: "You wouldnÂ't expect a Volvo to handle with the focus of a sportily optimised Focus, and it doesnÂ't. The steering is lighter, softer, more rubbery"

If you want to read the article from Evo here it is
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/203613/volvo_c30_t5.html
Worst of all, it's freaking hideous.
we looked long and hard at this car......on the positive side I think the interior is very clean and 'Scandinavian', and I personally think the back is quite nice......however, the engine nothing like the 2.0 and it does have more turbo lag, it is also at the end of it's life span and will be replaced soon...............the car is also a lot softer and geared more towards people who's nuts hit the floor when they take off their pants............nothing beats the feel of a German car

·
Registered
749 Posts
10bv01 said:
I would never tell you that a Ford engine is better than a German one, but if Ford borrowed the 2.5 from Volvo, wouldn't that make it a Volvo engine? True though that no way any "whatever"-tronic transmission comes close to the DSG.

·
Registered
857 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
I would never tell you that a Ford engine is better than a German one, but if Ford borrowed the 2.5 from Volvo, wouldn't that make it a Volvo engine?
Indeed. But I still wouldn't buy it. Volvo's are safe cars, not sports cars.
I would even have a hard time justify buying a Jaguar since they are owned by Ford.
As my service guy says (referring to the new XK), "No way in hell I'm paying that much for a T-bird with a body kit."

·
Registered
220 Posts
oh well. i love my 2.0, but i used to drive the T5. believe me, this VOLVO (not ford) engine (made for the most part in germany and france) does very well. as for the actual car, who knows, it's only in britain right now...

i dont think its sporty or anything, but volvo has come a long way no matter what. and to be honest, it's much more solid than my VW. After spending 23k on my GTI thats hard to say, but you buy them for different reasons. i wouldnt buy a volvo to zip around in,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts