Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
:D...DUDE...go toot your Si horn somewhere else. I had an Si @ one time and it was a bad mamba jamba...or so I thought. And I had it modded....but my GTI would eat it's lunch. Remember, you're on a V-dub site here...don't be surprised if you get chewed up verbally and spit out like yesterdays gum.....HaHaHa....:cool:

· Premium Member
6,854 Posts
oh yeah.. drag, GTI all the time... put it on the track.. and the Si shines... but it's still a Honda. ;)
But thats the fun in having a car that, dare I say, is not perfect. I mean the gti is damn well close but with a few minor upgrades to handling and the engine, It's just a beast, my uncle with a cammed z06 vette (ls7 engine:eek:) with a full borla exhaust was impressed by the pick up my litte v-dub has

· Registered
8 Posts
I appreciate your chewed up and spit out analogy here. I like my Si, but do NOT
believe it is all that "bad." It is interesting that you say yours was modded and still wouldn't
be a match for your GTI. I believe that because may of the conventional mods. on the Si
don't work. My point is that with the NA motor of the Si, I have to work real hard to be able
to pick the package of mods. that actually make my 2006 Si faster. As I said, the 70mm Skunk
catback actually hurt performance.

I am not here to brag about the Si, just to share info. with you guys.

I do know however that my modded Si after substantial labor and effort, will without a doubt beat a stock current model DSG-equipped GTI in a drag race or on a roll. The point is that the amount of work and money I have to put in is much greater and therefore I am a bit jealous.

Randy

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2006 Si. It is now over 250 lbs. lighter than stock. I have retained the stock engine, exhaust, and transmission. I have lightweight brake rotors (12 lbs. saving in rotating, unsprung weight), 16 lb. wheels (versus 23 lbs. stock), lightweight wheel nuts, custom lightweight pulleys (except crank pulley is stock), no rear brake drag (rear wheels turn with no resistance almost), aerodynamic flat undertray, hot water bypass for all intake components, high voltage lightweight battery, custom tuned intake plumbing before MAF (10 ft./lbs.!), very low overall rolling resistance, special MSD coils per cylinder, highly optimized cooling system (special ducting keeps coolant temp. low and ignition properly advanced), and other stuff.

These relatively minor mods. all make positive contributions and result in a car that is quicker off the line and through the 1/4 than a stock DSG GTI. I know I am just talking about a stock GTI. I am really worried about encountering a chipped GTI some day, but I have more substantial stuff planned.

Randy

· Registered
312 Posts
I have a 2006 Si. It is now over 250 lbs. lighter than stock. I have retained the stock engine, exhaust, and transmission. I have lightweight brake rotors (12 lbs. saving in rotating, unsprung weight), 16 lb. wheels (versus 23 lbs. stock), lightweight wheel nuts, custom lightweight pulleys (except crank pulley is stock), no rear brake drag (rear wheels turn with no resistance almost), aerodynamic flat undertray, hot water bypass for all intake components, high voltage lightweight battery, custom tuned intake plumbing before MAF (10 ft./lbs.!), very low overall rolling resistance, special MSD coils per cylinder, highly optimized cooling system (special ducting keeps coolant temp. low and ignition properly advanced), and other stuff.

These relatively minor mods. all make positive contributions and result in a car that is quicker off the line and through the 1/4 than a stock DSG GTI. I know I am just talking about a stock GTI. I am really worried about encountering a chipped GTI some day, but I have more substantial stuff planned.

Randy
Honda does make good cars. My 91 CRX with a DOHC V-Tech 1.6 (B-16A) was pretty quick and fun to drive. BUT, (and this is a big BUT) if had dropped as much money into my GTI as I did the honda, Id be pretty sure I could run somewhere in the 12's. The thing I did like about my honda though was probably the thing that makes it harder to go stoplight to stoplight. The high revving motor was difficult to keep in the powerband without having a long stretch of open road to really show its true power. I think Honda mainstreamed import tuning. In the early 90s throught the new millenium honda was the standard of import tunig but unfortunately has fallen off their game as of late. Sorry if I got all preachy...

· Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I know. Sometimes I let myself believe lightweight lugs nuts make a difference.

I bought the Si to "beat on" as someone else mentioned here. It is pretty strong and durable but really hard to effectively mod. I enjoy the challenge and the fun is in the process of getting there. It takes a ton of tuning and trial and error bolt-on to even keep up with a DSG GTI. I have to optimize EVERYTHING.

The big problem with it is the substantial reciprocating mass of the power train coupled with the low torque. The lightweight 2-piece rotors, 16 lb. Mugen wheels, lightweight pulleys and other stuff helped a bunch. I was able to reduce the rotating mass there about 35-40 lbs. total.

· Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Yeah, I know. Sometimes I let myself believe lightweight lugs nuts make a difference.

I bought the Si to "beat on" as someone else mentioned here. It is pretty strong and durable but really hard to effectively mod. I enjoy the challenge and the fun is in the process of getting there. It takes a ton of tuning and trial and error bolt-on to even keep up with a DSG GTI. I have to optimize EVERYTHING.

The big problem with it is the substantial reciprocating mass of the power train coupled with the low torque. The lightweight 2-piece rotors, 16 lb. Mugen wheels, lightweight pulleys and other stuff helped a bunch. I was able to reduce the rotating mass there about 35-40 lbs. total.
I've started droppin weight outta my gti, took out the rear seats, pulled the sound killer in the hatch, and I bet choppin that muffler off saved a good bit of weight to, so for 0$ I just shave about 100 or more pounds off so around .1 sec in the 1/4 and that was all today! More sound killer to get ripped up tom.

· Registered
110 Posts
I've started droppin weight outta my gti, took out the rear seats, pulled the sound killer in the hatch, and I bet choppin that muffler off saved a good bit of weight to, so for 0$ I just shave about 100 or more pounds off so around .1 sec in the 1/4 and that was all today! More sound killer to get ripped up tom.
All this talk about making our cars weigh less reminded me of the ultimate weight reductions... Bally's gym and a nutritional plan... our fat asses could shave some time by simply weighing less....

· Registered
6 Posts
kryptonkid07

yo. so i've had my share of racing si's.

all we do in sugarland/missouri city (houston, tx) is race our cars. no matter what they are.

i went from a super reliable '94 toyota pick-up 5-speed --> '07 vw gti 6-speed.
reliability fell a sht load w/ my gti. i've been to the dealership at least 8 times the past year for random faults, the most recent being cruise control not working. -__

anyways, back to si vs gti. i raced a new si in austin on mopac hitting the 135mph speed limiter. with my best friend in the passenger seat, and a 100lb woofer system in the back, i won every race w/ a good car to couple car lengths.

more recently, a good friend of mine. took out a loan and bought a new si.
he's been pushing it, always disregarding break-in period stuff.

along w/ the new si, another friend in my neighborhood, has an '05 rx-8 w/ many mods. he talks a lot of smack tho.

we raced down hwy90 many many times, going from digs, 20, 40, etc.

almost every time, my gti kept up w/ the rx-8 and si that both had 1 passenger each, while i had 2 plus my 100lb system.

i def. believe the gti can beat both of these cars. easy =)

kryptonkid07: next time we go out for a ride, u should come too.

T.HO

· Registered
8 Posts
Re: kryptonkid07

My Si factory premium stereo is down to 1 speaker in the door. The things I have to sacrifice...

Yohoitztho, I am not surprised by your results with your GTI. There are lots of big talkers out there and most mods. to Civic Sis don't work. Catback, CAI, big rear roll bar, etc., etc. The Si is a real challenge to mod. effectively, and I went with the tried and true weight reduction. Mine shunk from 2875 lbs. to the low 2500 lb. range. I did other stuff too.

I try not to overstate my street encounters and a lot comes down to drivers too.

I have noticed a fair difference between DSG cars and non-DSG. My last race was with a
2007 A3 DSG with some APR kit that the driver said added 35 h.p. or so. We rolled twice from 55 to 120 on the 110 freeway north heading toward downtown LA. I was able to pull about 4 car lengths, not a lot, but good enough. The A3 driver spoke with me and said he was surprised and had beaten other Civic Sis that were apparently stock. He was cool and we both had fun.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.