Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
psychociv said:
alrtie i guess since i am looking into buying a mkv gti and i own a civic i can jump in. Im guessing not many people street race? I can say iv drivin tons of fast vics from all motor to turbo ones and u cant underestimate them. It all just depends on what you are looking for, theres ways a civic can match up to a gti, take a vic say a 00 si you can get one for like what 8g's rite now throw that other 15 into it and i would bet on the si wining a race against a gti even with slight mods, and then if u wanna compare style and interior i would have to say my 01 ex with leather seats is very comfortable and everyone seems to love it, only thing i can say is it would cost allot to make a civic look, ride, and go fast so thats were the gti wins, the car has it all so u all say. :) so u can match the cars but like i said it depends on what you are looking for. If i didnt hate 4 door hondas and the motor in the new si's i would never have even looked at a gti. Do not think i am all for hondas they do have there down sides but so does every car. I love the look of the mkv gti and i hope i love how it drives tomorrow.

GranTurismoInjection said:
Here's the everyday difference (from my view):

Yesterday, I saw another Candy White GTI drive off while I was getting in mine at a gas station, and the guy looked over and gave me the nod of approval, which I promptly returned. That's always cool.

If a Si pulls up to another Si somewhere, they will automatically challenge each other to race, balls-to-the-wall style, resulting in an accident or the shame of one driver. That's never cool. Ever.
um yea well i can say the same for gti's or any other car just becouse its a vic dont mean that is going to happen. I have gotten more nods from other vics then people trying to challenge me. Not everyone is like that. If you wanna say anything i think its the people with cars that are fast like say an sti, or an evo that pull up next to vics that try and show off and such correct me if im wrong
I must be getting old 'cause your post is hard to read

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im going to have to agree with psycho about not underestimating the civic si, and rsx type s. My brother has the rsx and the 5-8000rpm range it is untouchable. Getting off the line is the hard part. But if you fix it up a little with the 3 grand you save it could win against the GTI. I like the fact that i can get pinned to my seat at any time with my GTI, which is why i got it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to own an 2001 Integra Type R (Australian Spec) and just got myself a MKV GTI (US Spec). As has been discussed here they are completely different cars. The GTI is quick. Effortlessly quick. Great mid-range pickup and so unbelievably comfortable for a car that handles so well. It is a really easy car to drive fast and difficult to get into trouble with.

The Integra was like a race car. Loud (when reved), unbelievable brakes and "speaks" to you through the steering. No, and I mean no, torque but when that hit VTEC at 6,700RPM nothing sounded and went like that. You really need to row it with the gearbox but when you did it was great.

I would never go back to the Type R but ..... It still holds a special place in my heart.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
This coming weekend (June 30th) my buddy will be bringing down his brand new Si to NC for some friendly races. He's confident the VTEC will put up some kind of fight against my stock 2.0T. Should be some good footage and pictures for you all to enjoy. We're both manual trans and we're gonna go from a dig, 1st gear rolling, 2nd gear rolling @ 20mph and 3rd gear rolling @ 35 mph. I really can't wait.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Yea stock for stock. I have a K&N drop in panel filter.. but I think we all know that does NOTHING for performance ^-^ From what I've read on this thread, its gonna be a massacre. As long as I am way ahead by the time he hits 5500rpm.... which I will be

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
You let an Si driver drive YOUR GTI?! Well I never...

Aw, so he didn't want to race? That's gay... He should have raced you for the kicks of it. I would race my friends SRT-4 for kicks. I know I'd loose, but I'd still race for the spirit of racing.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Knew the guy all through my time in the Marines.. trusted him with my life, so I figured I could trust him with my wife... ;D
Yea I was a little disappointed too. He won't live it down!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well this funny cause i have two friends who civic si s, and i have another two friends who have gtis and along with mine that makes us three. Well my friends with the si s always try to race us and its funny cause my friend pollo bought his civic so that he can beat me supposedly, he now regrets it and says that he should've got a gti so that he could have been the 4th.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2cents: Long story short, guy and his Si were itching for a race and of course he picks me to race (his 1st mistake). He didnt have plates on the car yet so he was really excited to race someone. Light turn green and I'm on it and then what do I hear..........he stalls his brand new Honda Si...... [fish] (his 2nd BIG mistake). Needless to say I was in the next zip code by that time. Hey guy, wherever you are, learn to drive stick 1st before you try and race someone!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
i've been beat by a all motor hatch, and i have had my car chipped intake and down pipe, he just saw him fly by me, but he did have some akward jap engine and a hallow shell with just 2 bucket seats for the entire car. i would guess 0-60 in less then 5 sec's if i had to give it a speed.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i was driving home, down these country roads, eventually i come up to a regular civic not even an SI, (new body style) i jus cruise past it next thing i notice it flys by me. My initial reaction was wtf? whatever, then we hit a trafffic light, he revs....ehhh, whatever, fuck it lets go, esp off, i hit 3rd gear i no longer see him. :)

stupid hondas

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my Si but I was at the VW dealer with my girlfriend. She is looking at the EOS ans I saw a rad Candy White GTIMkV and Rabbit. I have been on the vw.com andparts4vws.com all day. The VW has more power to be found under thet hood. I like my car but I wish I drove the GTI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know. I have an Si and it is not as high quality on the inside. I like
German cars more. However, stock for stock, the Si easily outhandles
the GTI in my experience. I give away ride quality, but high speed and low
speed handling is clearly in the Si's favor.

Power wise, when my Si was stock I did notice the GTI was faster especially
in regards to throttle response due to torque. I had to do a lot of weight
reduction and experimentation to get my Si faster. The Skunk catback made
it slower, as did an Injen intake. Anyway, I have now removed over 220 pounds,
installed much lighter wheels, very light 2-piece brake rotors, pulleys, and many other
small mods.

I regularly engage stock GTIs and they seem to be quite confident initially because
I have an Si. Within a couple seconds they realize things aren't turning out as expected.
I think they suspect some vehicle modification on my part, and they quickly become less
willing to challenge anymore. So, not all new generation Civics will be easy.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.