Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
6,854 Posts
oh yeah.. drag, GTI all the time... put it on the track.. and the Si shines... but it's still a Honda. ;)
But thats the fun in having a car that, dare I say, is not perfect. I mean the gti is damn well close but with a few minor upgrades to handling and the engine, It's just a beast, my uncle with a cammed z06 vette (ls7 engine:eek:) with a full borla exhaust was impressed by the pick up my litte v-dub has

· Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Yeah, I know. Sometimes I let myself believe lightweight lugs nuts make a difference.

I bought the Si to "beat on" as someone else mentioned here. It is pretty strong and durable but really hard to effectively mod. I enjoy the challenge and the fun is in the process of getting there. It takes a ton of tuning and trial and error bolt-on to even keep up with a DSG GTI. I have to optimize EVERYTHING.

The big problem with it is the substantial reciprocating mass of the power train coupled with the low torque. The lightweight 2-piece rotors, 16 lb. Mugen wheels, lightweight pulleys and other stuff helped a bunch. I was able to reduce the rotating mass there about 35-40 lbs. total.
I've started droppin weight outta my gti, took out the rear seats, pulled the sound killer in the hatch, and I bet choppin that muffler off saved a good bit of weight to, so for 0$ I just shave about 100 or more pounds off so around .1 sec in the 1/4 and that was all today! More sound killer to get ripped up tom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.