My Fast GTi banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
It all differs car to car, regardless of the slight HP gain. Plus, the GTI has the DSG ;D

·
Registered
79 Posts
actually a friend of mine at work has an rx8 and he cant stop talking about how great the GTI is and all the great features it has and ocf course i agreed with him ::)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTfly said:
doesnt the RX8 have 240ish HP??
Yeah, in the area of 240 HP base, but only about 190 (within 3 HP either way, I can't remember off the top of my head) makes it way to the wheels. The mazda Speed3 is going to eat it up. Not good when the flagship car of mazda can be punked by a hopped up Focus. The only thing that could help is to rush out the Speed RX8. I hear it is going to push 320 HP, but there is no release date yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
GTfly said:
doesnt the RX8 have 240ish HP??
Yeah, about 240 at the crank but garbage for torque. A buddy of mine has one and even when we were both stock I would rip him a new one. Rolling, out of the whole, highway no matter how we ran it I always ended up in front. He now has a piggy back ecu, cat delete and intake. Even with his list of goodies it is fun to show him what a VW with a little work can do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 6SP RX8 and just test drove a 6SP GTI as my lease is about to expire. The RX8 feels much lighter and is perfectly balanced where as the GTI feels a bit more rubbery. Steering response on the RX8 is quicker and the brakes are head and shoulders better than the GTI. The RX8 just feels more go-karty. That being said the GTI is also great in its own way; the low down torque is fun after driving the no torque RX8. The traction control is a little less nanny-ish in that you can get a little tire squeal going where the RX8 would be blipping its brakes (of course you can turn that off). The gauges in the RX8 are easier to read being larger and permanently backlit (there is also a nifty little switch that makes them glow white or red). AC is better in the GTI, RX8 just has a blow cold/hot, no keep me at 68F option. GTI is a lot more practical as the trunk in the RX8 is pretty much useless and the seats don't even fold down. They are both great cars though. Overall I think the RX8 drives better due to it being lighter, rear wheel drive, more powerful, and perfectly balanced. GTI beats it in practicality, some features, and low down grunt to push you into the seat. Drive them both, and see which one suits you.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The practicality is one of the biggest features of the GTI to me. I used to drive a Jetta and the fact that the GTI was smaller, sportier, PLUS more practical with the hatch back and split seats that fold down real easy (my Jetta had a full bench fold down, took 5 minutes to operate and no ski bag) made the purchase a no brainer for me. There's plenty of other sporty cars out there, like the RX8 but usually the sportier you go the less practical the car and the GTI seems to buck this trend.

·
Registered
137 Posts
dpgti said:
I own a 6SP RX8 and just test drove a 6SP GTI as my lease is about to expire. The RX8 feels much lighter and is perfectly balanced where as the GTI feels a bit more rubbery. Steering response on the RX8 is quicker and the brakes are head and shoulders better than the GTI. The RX8 just feels more go-karty. That being said the GTI is also great in its own way; the low down torque is fun after driving the no torque RX8. The traction control is a little less nanny-ish in that you can get a little tire squeal going where the RX8 would be blipping its brakes (of course you can turn that off). The gauges in the RX8 are easier to read being larger and permanently backlit (there is also a nifty little switch that makes them glow white or red). AC is better in the GTI, RX8 just has a blow cold/hot, no keep me at 68F option. GTI is a lot more practical as the trunk in the RX8 is pretty much useless and the seats don't even fold down. They are both great cars though. Overall I think the RX8 drives better due to it being lighter, rear wheel drive, more powerful, and perfectly balanced. GTI beats it in practicality, some features, and low down grunt to push you into the seat. Drive them both, and see which one suits you.
did you test the dsg tranny? it's faster AND smoother ride.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
the hatchback on the GTI over the Jetta gave me the perfect reason for my dad to sign for the car. (im still only 18, was 17 when purchased the car, and i DO pay for the damn car by myself and work over 30 hours a week with school to do so) I use to play guitar a lot and own a big stack amplifier with 4 12" speakers that was a total pain putting in any car so the hatchback made it almost a perfect way for me to convince my dad to sign for it haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I imagine, in the 1/4 mile, you would beat them, but on a highway, when your already moving... rx8 no contest

but then again

who wants a torqueless RX-8 anyway?

·
Registered
2 Posts
dsgti said:
did you test the dsg tranny? it's faster AND smoother ride.
I didn't drive the DSG no, but the 6SP was plenty fast, it just doesn't have the same go-kart feel that the RX8 does, go drive an RX8 and you'll see what I mean. But the GTI is certainly good enough that come March I'll end up getting one (black/4dr/pkg2/nav)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
my friend jus got an RX8, he said he tore up a GTI last night, couldnt say if it was a MkIV or MkV. He also mentioned that the GTi shuddered when they started racing, they were already moving. I'm thinkin part of the loss was the GTI's driver error. We are gonna go head to head later on..i'll keep ya'll updated

·
Registered
129 Posts
OK. Let me put my 2 cents into this since I owned a RX8 before my GTI for 2.5 years. Even thought the RX8 is perfectly a sports car and drives and feels like one is not the car you drive every day (thats why I sold it and got my GTI). Is not comfortable in long trips and is NOT economical at all! I average 18 miles to a gallon I was take it easy! The GTI not only is cheaper but has more features and power (if you cheeped it like I did for only $600! APR stage 1) 252/302 versus the RX8 238/159. Also if I will be going to the track I will take the RX8 for the great handling but for everything else (that most of us do) the GTI is Unbeatable! (believe me or not I own more then 28 cars in the last 20 years so I learn a few things... ^-^) 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts