Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know which one to get...my sister has an rx8 (which is a huge gas guzzler), and i was looking at the eclipse (but i heard it has such a bad reputation)..is the mkv better than both?? help. :-\

·
Registered
58 Posts
My own considerations on these cars:

Each redesign of the Eclipse keeps making it uglier to me. I can't stand it's current aesthetics at all (I think it's the rear end). Eight years ago I wanted one, but now I don't. I haven't been in a newer one, but I have driven the last edition several years ago.

On the other hand, I find the RX-8 a beautiful vehicle. I was considering purchasing one. I love the sound the rotary engine makes, and the ride was comfortable, but not nearly as gripping and entertaining as the GTI. The GTI offered more fun behind the wheel, much better gas mileage, and a higher quality finish for a cheaper price than the RX-8.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seeing the images next to each other makes them look like surprising similar vehicles. My eyes must be screwing with me since I commented on how differently I like their aesthetics.
Odd.

·
Registered
842 Posts
scothand said:
Seeing the images next to each other makes them look like surprising similar vehicles. My eyes must be screwing with me since I commented on how differently I like their aesthetics.
Odd.
They are both over styled in my opinion. I like restrained design, it stands the test of time better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
allright..i just found out that the mitsu weighs in at 3500 pounds!!! ...you prob couldnt overtake a jeep in that thing. So the competition is now between the rx8 and the gti...they both reach 60 in about the same amount of time...any opinions?

·
Registered
842 Posts
bonzo1234 said:
allright..i just found out that the mitsu weighs in at 3500 pounds!!! ...you prob couldnt overtake a jeep in that thing. So the competition is now between the rx8 and the gti...they both reach 60 in about the same amount of time...any opinions?
That RX-8 design is old, are they coming out with a new one? If so, I would wait.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Go out to the dealerships, drive the RX-8 and the GTI, and I think you'll know exactly which one you want at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
from people i know that drive each of the vehicles they say the RX8 has better handling but the GTi is more power and still drives great. everytime i see my friend race this kids rx8 he demolishes it.
personally if yer not sure i would go drive both. (also i heard the back seat room on the RX8 is horrific.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok the new eclipse is UGLY!!!, i liked the '99 GSX (it was sexy), The RX-8 has great outside and inside look, especialy the balck n red interior >:D >:D, also the handling of that car is great, but the power SUCKS!!! I test drove it and is nothing like GTI, the lack of tourqe you can feel. I think that GTI has the looks, handling and the power (It's HOTT HATCH), but this is my opinon. Best thing for you to do is to test drive these cars, but i would go with GTI every minute of my life !!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
125 Posts
The RX8 is really interesting. The power won't come on until you hit really high RPM's because of the rotary engine. You guys probably know how a rotary motor works, but I just found out a couple of weeks ago, and I would love to see one or drive a car with one. The engine doesn't even look like it should be something that runs . . . very cool. Sorry, a bit off topic. I really like the looks of the RX8, but the GTI offers more refinement, and looks more sophisticated. I have read that the Mazda handles very well, but the GTI has power (torque) at low RPM's where you use it the most, so there's no need for constant downshifting.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i was actually in the same position 2 months ago. rx8, eclipse gt convertible or a GTI

I test drove all 3 of them.

Everything mentioned above is right, the eclipse has to much torque for a front wheel drive car, the rx8 doesnt have enough. GTI is spot on.

Quality wise: The eclipse jus felt cheaply made, they were limited options available for driver comfort. Granted i did like the 10" Rockford frosgate sub but the onboard computer was crap. Unless you get leather, the seats feel to soft and are depressing as crap.

The RX8 was nice inside i couldnt really complain, i liked the small hints that the car was a rotary engine. Only if they made the rear triangle an exhaust pipe would of been a nice touch.

MPG: both the eclipse and RX8 sucked, for different reason, the eclipse is a 3.8v6 the RX8 w/ its 1.3 4cylinder needs high revs both scenario's require more gas than the GTI

Handling: The RX8 clearly won, it was perfect, rear wheel drive, evenly balanced, i just couldnt get over the fact it felt slow.

Obviously i went w/ a GTI. I have no regrets at all. Highway cruising is great, smooth, great gas mileage, i actually average on the highway its VW posted numbers. In city its a lil different but im not goin to complain, this im not exactly driving like grandma. The interior, exterior, and engine either won or was real close to winning each category in my book.

Summary: BUY A GTI

1 - 12 of 12 Posts