Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some freshman wants to race his IS350 against me for some cash. i looked it up and they have 306hp and run 14.2 1/4 miles. what do you think my chances are?

·
Registered
857 Posts
With the mods you've got, i don't think you'd have any problem beating him... To ensure that you'll absolutely beat him though, have the race at an actual track, he's only a freshman with not much driving experience, you would absolutely dominate him there. I'd put $100 on a race like that if i had those kind of mods and if it were at a real track and not just a drag.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it would be on a secluded street and for 50 bucks. i could probably up it but i just ordered a Greddy Catback exhaust system that will arrive this week so im kinda broke hah. should be great though :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
So it would only be a drag race? I wouldn't necessarily bet on that. If you could do a point A to point B race, like from your school to the nearest mall or something like that though, that would probably be a lot of fun and im sure you could take it

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah... but chances of crashin or gettin pulled over would be much greater hah. its gotta be a drag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It will be a close race. I just test drove one and they are pretty quick. I beat the hell out of it. Its a pretty fun car, but for 40+K i could find a better car!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm sorry to say that the Lexus probably has the edge in a straight line on this one. Take it on-course and it's a closer match; my money'd be on the GTI.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ive raced one and it was a close call, but i think you definitively have a shot.

He may have more horse power but so does weight due to bigger engine.

IS350 3,527 lbs
GTI 3,306lbs

·
Registered
263 Posts
305 hp vs gtfly's 250ish

standard automatic vs dsg

3500 lbs vs 3200 lbs

you have a chance gtfly. if u use launch control, i think youll win

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright fellas well i know i have not posted anything on here in awhile and it kind of died but here it is
TOMORROW!!! $150 race between me and an IS 350. i want to race him from a 20 roll. my friend has a stage II APR GTi and lost to this kid at over 100mph when they raced from a 20 roll and got killed from a 40 roll. he also has manual though and i have DSG so i have slight advantage there... i will also be running race gas tomorrow so our HP at the wheels will be pretty close between me and the IS 350. (266 for him and me about 262ish). i will own him in torque though thats why i want to do it from the 20 roll. there wont be a camera filming because i am getting my car stripped so i have the best chance against him.
wish me luck... any last minute suggestions?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Take EVERYTHING out of your car, wear the lightest shoes possible, you need your car to be as light as possible, every single pound counts.

How long is the race??

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont know how long it is. i want it as short as possible though. my friend with APR stage II lost on the 20 roll by a little because the IS 350 has better top end HP and catches up the longer you go. hopefully i can do like a 20-100mph run

·
Registered
857 Posts
Good luck bud, check your tire pressure beforehand to make sure everything is in perfect condition, $150 would be a lot to lose.

Let us know how it goes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts