Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm 18, and lucky enough to have my parents be willing to buy me a car. We reserved a 2012 4Dr GTI autobahn package, but it will only arrive in 3 weeks and my parents are now wondering if it was a good call. The dealer has other people lined up for the car, so we are not obligated to buy it. The other car we're considering is a CPO BMW 328i/xi, probably 09 or 10. Which would you buy? If you've driven both, what are your impressions of the handling/feel/etc? Thanks!

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
two different cars

one is FWD and the other is RWD/AWD

your in NJ so you get snow

do you know how to drive a RWD car in the snow?

i would stick with the GTI but i have only driven older BMW

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Personally then I would go with the GTI because I have heard that most new BMW's are not the best cars to own out of warranty. Seeing as you are 18 then I would stick with FWD as volcano said because if you have not driven a rear wheel drive car in the snow then I would not want to start with a bimmer.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
That is what I said in the first place. O0

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same decision to make a week ago...except it was either an 08' 335 or a 2012 GTI... They are right BMW is a completely different car! But for me owning a 335 out of warranty is something I couldn't do.. If I had the money maybe.. But then again if I had the money I would get an M3 so I went with the GTI and I don't regret it. Personally I'm a huge VW fan so I love everything about VW designs mods community and everything.. Best of luck, I hope u go GTI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If Mummy and Daddy are buying the insurance and maintenance I'd take the Beemer.
Otherwise I'm for the 'Dub. A full 3 year warranty is a nice thing to have.

·
Registered
121 Posts
328, if YOU can afford it. The maintenance is outrageous compared to a Volkswagen. You can't even rotate tires on account of the one direction and stagger that BMW uses. They are nicer, but you pay for what you get, for a long time. ;)
My dad is thinking about buying a '00 BMW, 330cic. His main concern is maintenance though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just traded in my 2008 BMW 328i with only 31000 km to a 2013 fully loaded GTI, Don't get me wrong, the BMW was a very refine vehicle and drive very nicely and very civilized. It has some options that the US/Canada version of the GTI do not has. e.g. tilt down passenger side mirror for reverse, headlight sensors, auto dimming mirror plus side mirrors, backup sensor, door handles under LED lights....the list go on and on, you pay for what you get, it is an entry level luxury car. No single rattle after 31000 km, on a nice day and dry road or in the mountain road it is a treats to drive and it will makes you feel like driving in Europe or something, people looks and think of you differently once they found out you drive a BIMMER...prestige social status even you just a normal Joe...BUT......I had a MKV GTI with stage1 and 2 before the Bimmer, I remember the grins I had every time when I drove the GTI and the "Unexplainable sensation" that the GTI gave me, you know...the feeling that every patrol head and whose love driving and you have no idea how to explain it to anyone kind of feeling... so, and YOU will talk to your FAST! I love my BMW as a fine car which gave me a prestige feeling when I owned it and drove it, but I never felt that personal connection with it. Its like a beautiful, delicate piece of art work you observe, worship and admire from a distance and it is untouchable, The GTI....its became part of me, its became my friend, I secretly talk to it and you will too, GTI all the way, if you want that Personal connection with your FAST...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I just traded in my 2008 BMW 328i with only 31000 km to a 2013 fully loaded GTI, Don't get me wrong, the BMW was a very refine vehicle and drive very nicely and very civilized. It has some options that the US/Canada version of the GTI do not has. e.g. tilt down passenger side mirror for reverse, headlight sensors, auto dimming mirror plus side mirrors, backup sensor, door handles under LED lights....the list go on and on, you pay for what you get, it is an entry level luxury car. No single rattle after 31000 km, on a nice day and dry road or in the mountain road it is a treats to drive and it will makes you feel like driving in Europe or something, people looks and think of you differently once they found out you drive a BIMMER...prestige social status even you just a normal Joe...BUT......I had a MKV GTI with stage1 and 2 before the Bimmer, I remember the grins I had every time when I drove the GTI and the "Unexplainable sensation" that the GTI gave me, you know...the feeling that every patrol head and whose love driving and you have no idea how to explain it to anyone kind of feeling... so, and YOU will talk to your FAST! I love my BMW as a fine car which gave me a prestige feeling when I owned it and drove it, but I never felt that personal connection with it. Its like a beautiful, delicate piece of art work you observe, worship and admire from a distance and it is untouchable, The GTI....its became part of me, its became my friend, I secretly talk to it and you will too, GTI all the way, if you want that Personal connection with your FAST...
Inexplicably well put...

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Unfortunately in my province, the BMW has a bad connotation as it's the car of choice for immigrant drivers, many of whom are 16 yr olds who's daddy bought it for them. Many people avoid the BMW's as there's an assumption that they don't know how to drive.

I think BMW's are boring looking, the basic styling hasn't changed in 30 years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Unfortunately in my province, the BMW has a bad connotation as it's the car of choice for immigrant drivers, many of whom are 16 yr olds who's daddy bought it for them. Many people avoid the BMW's as there's an assumption that they don't know how to drive.

I think BMW's are boring looking, the basic styling hasn't changed in 30 years.
I hear what you are saying, just because you have money, does not mean you have taste or class for sure, Many "Rich Daddy or Drug Dealer" Racers have their unbelievable tasteless and classless pimped out Bentley, Merces, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. Just do a google or youtube search and you will be surprise how Money≠Class≠tastes there are. BMW lately seems to lose its touch as an "Ultimate driving machine" They seems to be trying so hard to be "All thing for all men..." and trying to please everyone. Be honest, even when I had my E90 328i w/ M sport package, every time when I saw a E46 3-series, I told myself how beautiful and classic, typical German/ European design written all over it. IMHO, from E90/ E92 onwards, all BMW are all so boring and looks like every other "German" brand and the driving sensation....Unless you dose out $ 70,000 on a special edition M3 or M5, all other BMW seems to become "Just another German Luxury car!"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hard to deny an x drive 328i with a manual. That is a pretty nice ride. I have owned six BMW's. The old ones are easy to fix, the new ones have more electronic issues. If you want every feature working all the time, you need a warranty. BMW has good CPO warranty programs though. What I do not like is the e92 styling. My brother had an x328, homely things IMO. Now he has an x535 which is stunning.

The awd car is going to be better in the snow, but if used is an option then the '08 R32 should be a serious consideration as well.

That said, I also love having new car with a warranty. I was tired of my second job as a BMW home mechanic. My new GTI has 5000 miles on it in five weeks of ownership. I can not stop driving it. Labor day was to Denver and back, all mtn driving. We spent 12 hours in the car that day. I still looked forward to my 45 mile drive Tues morning. You can not go wrong with the GTI.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts