Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a new GTI or a used Audi A3. In Canada the GTI base sells for $30k and the base A3 with 10k miles sells for the same.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Does the A3 have Quattro?

The A3 has more luxury on the inside, but doesn't look as cool on the outside as the GTI. One benefit you might get out of buying the A3 though, is that it may have an Audi service plan attached to it.

Me, I wouldn't settle for a used A3 over a GTI though. A used 2002-2004 A4, now that's another thing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends on what you want. If you want the AWD, get the A3. I think the GTI looks nicer on the outside.

If it were me, I'd get the used Audi. So as long as you can find one in beautiful condition that's been taken great care of. And who takes great care of their cars when getting rid of it after 10k miles?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The A3 is only available with Quattro in the 3.2 S-Line. I was really torn between the GTI and the A3 before I got my Fast. In my opinion, the GTI is a much more fun car. The styling of the interior seems to be more geared towards sportiness. Also, the 3.2 isn't really any faster than the 2.0T. The thing that really turned me off to the A3 was the dealer. He was a total DICK!

Anyway, drive them both. Consider your financing options on used vs new. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in any 'extended warranty' that comes with the A3 though. Those warranties are very restrictive and rarely do anything for you. It's just a selling point.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I meant the service plan. My dad drives an Audi and it comes with a service plan included, so there's no cost for all the servicing for the first four years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info guys. I was referring to the 2.0 without quattro. I assumed that the the A3's that have only 10k to 20k mileage were off of one year leases. Otherwise your right, who would sell a car after so few kilometers.
It does come with the 4 year service plan or whats left and an extended pre-owned service plan for 2 years. It did mention that there were restrictions on the extended plan so I won't put much value on that.

I do like the exterior look of the A3 better but prefer the interior of the GTI. I havent' driven either of them yet(pathetic, I know), I'm am looking to buy next summer; I'm just really anxious and doing some research.

Here is the car if your interested in knowing.
A3

·
Registered
4 Posts
My .02. I like the A3 and the GTI. Actually, love the GTI with the DSG. Things being equal....2.0T and DSG available in both. Tie. A3 has four doors, GTI has 2 doors (here in the States at the moment). Advantage A3, at least to my wife. I like the looks of both...tie. For some reason, the A3 even though it has four doors and the one I looked at had the "open sky" sunroofs, seemed smaller inside than the GTI. Maybe not smaller but just not as much room. Instrument wise I believe they both have the same package. Looks, love them both. If you want the goodies in the A3 they seem to be extra (HID's, S-Line Pkg and Tech pkg), well the GTI has the HID's and of course the 18's will cost more along with the spoilers front and rear. I believe that the Nav system is pretty much the same as well as the stereo pkgs. Pretty much a wash to me. At the moment it comes down to 2 or four doors but that will change with the addition of the GTI 5 dr here in the States. The Audi, being an Audi, will cost more. To add to the mix, Mazad Speed 3. More hp, 4 doors and been getting great reviews. Did I mention cheaper? Bad news, Mazad is only importing 5000 to the US. Stopped by a dealer today and he said they had one in and sold it for sticker the same day. Guess you have to be lucky. Did this help?????? ::) Yeah, right. I feel your pain. I'm right there with you. Oh yeah, the R32 should be coming here in '08.....arrrrrrrgh. Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
The A3 looks too "station-waggy" for me, don't know why, but it does... So I got the 4 door GTI, DSG w/ everything but the Nav system (I have a hand held GPS anyhow).

The A3, when I test drove it felt a bit soft when it comes to suspension and handling.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm with dragon on this one...a bit too "station-wagony." I personally wouldn't want the level of luxury in the A3 just because I bought the GTI with the intention of it being sporty. Not that there's anything wrong with luxury, but it just detracts from the sporty feeling for me. Anyways, I love the refined (but not TOO much) interior of the GTI. Both cars are great, but I'd go w/ the new car (GTI) versus the used Audi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts