Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
a buddy in my unit has a german spec S, he never wants to race, but he will admit that ill take him

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got a Mini and you wanna stop by the grocery story and get a bottle of laundry detergent AND a loaf of bread? Lol yeah right! One or the other, buddy. Unless you have a rough rack..maybe? I guess you could put the loaf of bread on the roof.

Seriously though. I also drove a mini myself. I'm 230lbs 6'3-6'4, firstly it was too small for me to be comfortable in, and more importantly it was way too small for any kind of utility. It was just to take me from one place to another and nothing else. I don't even think my 80lb German Shepherd could fit in the back.

Performance of the mini also wasn't great (maybe because I tripled the weight of it when I sat in it? Lol.) After driving the Mini and a MK5 (both same years) I would race a mini any day anyplace. Even if the mini won, the driver would still be having less fun (and have his knees touching his face)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well my dad is about to purchase a 2011 mini cooper S. Ive ridden in it and its a pretty nice car, i was suprised at the performance. gti rides smoother and is more practical, but i like the seats and the fact the steering wheel tilts down and out enough to fit me just the way i want in the mini. If i wanted a fun little DD commuter car with good mpg's i would go with the mini, if i was looking for something alittle more practical that i could mod the hell out of, i would take the gti.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Coming from me , an owner of a mini looking for a mkv i feel like i can give my opinion on the mini better than some of you but then again its just my opinion.
The looks of the mini are nice which ever generation you have as long as its the S model and your roof is black , its a great starting point.
add 20% 15% or 5% tint , lower it , widen the stance , get some nice wheels and de badge it and you have found your self a sexy little car , at least on the exterior.
The interior sucks (on my generation the r53 ) but all the newer generation have very high build quality with great fitment .
I've recently got warranty work done and had a loaner paceman S , was quick enough and looked great. While at the dealer ship i sat in a cooper S GP , which was the closest to sitting in a track car with a livable interior.
The back seats suck bawls . cant fit my baby seat in the back with having to move the seat forward and a regular 5'5 adult could fit as long as its under that height.
Fuel economy is decent 30's on the highway mid 20's in the city , even with the way i drive i average 28 but that's not stellar considering the GTI is supposed to top that even with the larger displacement.
You would expect to get gas milage but not really (albeit i drive the S model)
The car does the job as commuter quite well , pretty reliable aside from the control arm bushings that have plagued me since i purchased , and because of how the car is built the only way to get to the bushings is remove a lot of the subframe which in labor costs its very expensive. I used to own a mk4 and one thing i love about mini is the service dept. They are 100000000x more friendly and actually appear like they wanna help you and not take your money and be complete dicks like they were at my local vw dealer
Honestly the only reason that i now see you buy this car used is if your single,or a female, live in a city where parking is a commodity or you plan on building a track day car with excellent handling.
From my owner ship even with my worn control arm bushings the car still can take corners well and i usually never have a problem finding parking or cutting off people on the highway :)
But until i have a mk5 i cant say which is better and honestly it all depends on the generation of mini your comparing the mkv to.
The 01-05 generation the vw is the clear winner the 07-11( I believe ) which is turbo charged its a toss up on power.
The figures are closer than that of a sc model and fuel economy was improved and the interior was 10x better
Just my 2 cents

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.