Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Serge said:
I had the chance to do a couple rolling starts against my friend's 2006 CooperS. It may be that from a stop the GTI and CooperS will tie, but from a rolling start the supercharged mini has a slight advantage over the turbocharged GTI.

The lack of turbo lag makes the Mini get ahead by half a car in the first half a second ... differece that the GTI starts reducing with each gear, but it is not an easy task to get ahead.

The story is differente when the rolling start is done during acceleration (that is with the turbo boosting). The GTI will take a copule feet on the mini on each gear.

My engine has 2K and his over 20K, so it may be that as engine matures the difference will decrease.
DSG? If so, did you use your launch mode?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the DSG, but these were rolling starts. We could not stop (eventhough we tried) in the middle of the highway. >:D

In any case, launch control takes half a second to disengage the clutch once you take your foot from the break pedal. If the other guy is fast he will jump on you.

I like the launch control to show-off, but I have the feeling a well controlled launch with the ESP on may yield a better 0-60.

·
Registered
253 Posts
mini smokes the gti! its about weight...
if u want your gti to be faster, take out the unnecessary stuff! you will also save gas!!!
Porsche is taking out all the floor mats and other unnecessary parts out of it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ummmm...

The Mini "S" is a great car and an even better match for the GTI. It does not however "smoke" the GTI. I would say that in over 50% of a series of matches between the two the Mini would be the winner but rarely would it be a massive, decisive victory worthy of the term "smoked".

Have you been at the track and seen the two compete?

·
Registered
106 Posts
the mini S and the GTI are VERY similar in performance. VERY VERY similar... but i'm COMPLETELY not even REMOTELY interested in owning a mini S... and even if i got beat 10/10 times by a mini S, i would still be SOOOO happy i don't own one. Owning a car is about a lot more than a couple tenths of a second...

·
Registered
253 Posts
i didnt see it on a track, but i saw a german video. they were comparing the gti and the cooper, the cooper won. they said it was about the size and weight.

slim i feel sorry for you!!! suckers O0

·
Registered
9 Posts
HoldDaMayo said:
I downloaded the tech sheets from Car and Driver and the 07 GTI and the 07 Mini Cooper S are quite similar in performance. The braking and acceleration up to 130MPH numbers are almost IDENTICAL. I'd say a race between the 2 is a true drivers race... both cars were 6spd manual ...
My wife has an '07 Mini Cooper S

I brought home a demo '07 GTI (used with 8K miles on it) the other night. There may have been an opportunity to line up next to my wife's '07 MCS. Both cars equipped with 6 speed manuals, 17" wheels, summer tires. She's got 10K miles on her Mini.

We started from a dig (my wife can drive), both cars absolutely dead even through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. That was the extent of the drag race. They were dead, I mean DEAD even.

I have to give the handling nod, stock vs. stock to the Cooper. There's apparent EDIT> understeer <EDIT in the GTI, but virtually none in the Cooper.

I'm not looking to elicit flames. My next car will most likely be a GTI. That is why I joined this forum.

·
Registered
158 Posts
MrVvrroomm said:
I have to give the handling nod, stock vs. stock to the Cooper. There's apparent oversteer in the GTI, but virtually none in the Cooper.
You guys had a neat opportunity. Glad to hear you took advantage of it! (And have a wife that's up to the task. That's always neat)

I'd imagine handling would go to the Cooper. It's smaller and lighter. Interesting that you found the GTI to oversteer, though. I've found mine pretty balanced, tending towards understeer a tiny bit. I haven't really put it thru its paces yet though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
matrim22 said:
Interesting that you found the GTI to oversteer, though. I've found mine pretty balanced, tending towards understeer a tiny bit. I haven't really put it thru its paces yet though.
My bad, brain fart. I meant to type UNDERsteer. I'll edit my post above.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
ZenFast said:
Latest reviews, 2007 August Motortred Hot-Hatch contest------->Mini S, GTI, Vovo C30. GTI won AGAIN!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/112_0710_european_hatch_comparison
That was mentioned elsewhere.. but I LOVE that article. Makes me happy about my car... ;D

About the Mini's.. I like 'em.

I saw 2 red ones today and a really nice yellow one with some nice matte black rims and black racing stripes.

All of them Cooper S... I don't even look at the regular Mini's...

They're starting to grow on me. :)

·
Banned
890 Posts
I've had two new Mini Cooper S , a 2004 coupe and a 2005 coper s convertible. The interiors are anything you want them to be. Certainly not boring if you spec it out yourself.Now I'm on my fourth new VW. It was a tough call as both are great cars.The Mini has more of a go-kart feel while, and don't hate me for this, the VW has a more mature feel to it, bit more refined. For me, the non-S isn't worth getting.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
While my friend was installing my springs at BMW I went next door to look at the Mini's let me tell you... I really like them. They have this something about them that makes them look fun. So tiny and the wheel base is so short. I can imagine zipping in and out of traffic with one. :)

·
Banned
890 Posts
Kryptonkid...you owe it to yourself to at least test drive a Cooper S. The first time I did I was fortunate enough to have the salesman be an ex-racer. He has about 50 old Minis and was consulted by BMW on the design of the new one(2003). He took me on a wickedly twisted road and told me to follow his instructions. I had told him that I use to race SCCA. Man! I never would have guessed! He was one hell of a co-pilot. Bought one that day.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.