Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be honest. When I was looking for a new car I went and drove one to give it an honest shot. Many magazines had raved about it being a nimble, quick car and some had said it's a fun car. So after driving it, I must say that it was a zippy. It was comfy for 2 people. I was expecting a decent amount of space w/the seats down but there's a hump where I think the gas tank is and it really breaks up your attempt at putting something in their totally. Also, simple standard features that the GTI has like HID's, 6 disc CD changer, and I think the 6 airbags are all optional on the MCS. I was dismayed also by the poor selection that Ft. Lauderdale Mini had. Only ONE w/a black roof. I hate the white roof ones.

Anyways, in the end the one black MCS was like 29k b/c it had everything in it...Harmon Kardon, bike rack, etc etc. The bike rack is useless to me b/c my bike doesnt have a nice circular tube frame. It's a Cannondale Super V 1500 and kinda looks like this but all chrome w/carbon fiber bar ends and trailing arms.

·
Registered
346 Posts
zulu said:
VW's are great for those folks over 6 foot.
This is the reason I got into VW in the first place. I'm 6'3", and VW engineeers build their cars for teutonics, not 5' asians. Somebody told me they don't even have tilt steering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Honda S2000 doesn't have tilt. I tried to sit in one once. If I had tried to drive it I wouldn't have been able to shift because the steering wheel kept my leg from even taking my foot off of the clutch. All I think that I would have needed would have been maybe 1 1/2 or 2 inches raise to have a chance at a good shift. I really like the roadster look, but I would rather have the Prelude back. Even the later model Preludes had more room for the driver. I also think it is a freaking rip that any modern car manufacturer would even ponder making a car without tilt. What if I had my heart set on getting an S200? No tilt would have killed the deal and my heart. Thankfully, I wasn't really interested (I was pretty much leaning all the way over to the GTI at that point). I just hadn't sat in one and there it was, so why not?

·
Registered
89 Posts
well my good friend has a nice cooper s with extensive mods to it, intense pulleys, headers , full exhaust intake etc.. his car is great on the highways takes me a lil bit every gear... but any normal roads my stok fast has taken him even though his should be a faster car.. different results,, its a beutiful cal that mini and with the pulley it sounds crazy in the cabin but none the less i love my fast SOOO much and would never think about ever not having it to a mini pooper :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
You have to be a midget to drive a mini! I'm 6 foot and I couldn't even sit in it. I have long legs and the steering wheel was pinching them. I felt the same way about the Mazda miata. Couldn't even fit in it. I just don't understand why carmakers don't build cars with more seat travel, and steering wheel adjustment? Like VW does. GTi is the best car out there for the price.

·
Registered
263 Posts
10bv01 said:
If a guy buys a Mini, it better be lime green and have "I'm walking on sunshine" playing on the stereo. In other words, the Mini is not heterosexual.
lol walkin on sunshine is legit! has anyone here seen a snowboard movie called derelictica? lauri heiskari uses that song in it, its friggin badass

·
Registered
36 Posts
MattMan said:
The Mini is a go-cart and has the functionality and room of a go-cart. There is no practicality in a Mini. It's mini. The GTI is a car and has the functionality and room of a car. I'm 6' 5" and sitting in a Mini I had to duck. I feel 5' 10" in the GTI with it's generous headroom and legroom. The best purchase I have made in my short life.
why the hell would you try to fit into a Mini to begin with if you're 6'5!? hahaha that's like a gorilla in the circus riding around on a mini-tricycle!

·
Registered
137 Posts
MattMan said:
I'm 6'5". I do admit that it probably looks pretty funny seeing me get in and out of my GTI. The GTI was actually one of very few cars on the market that I could sit in and not have to duck my head to see out of. It was a great selling point for me since I had spent the past three years ducking my head in a '98 Honda Accord. There are a lot of nice cars out there that you would think a guy my size could fit in, but sadly that isn't true. I sat in a Jeep Comander, no lie, with the seat all the way back and down and my head hit the ceiling. I was also cramped for leg space. The steering wheel could only adjust barely out of the way. It was funny having to tell a salesman, "Sorry, I love the car... I just don't fit in it... Literaly." Salesman aren't really equiped with a comeback for that, so they got this really puzzled look on their face where you saw them go through their flip book of responses but nothing was coming up. Some of them in a fit for not losing a sale would attack the seat controls to the point that they would almost break. Salesman are so funny.
You have no idea how much this is true. This literally has to be the best response ive read in a long time. THIS IS IDENTICAL to what i did. Now I am not 6'5" flat footed but only 6'3". I have litterally tried every single fricken car on the market from like $40K and under. I only had to try the $40kish ones because i could not fit in any other one! Any car under $30K, no matter what it was, i could not fit in. Always something, no headroom, no legroom, no shoulder room, no balls, or really bad gas milage and then the really fricken exspensive ones. VW was my last resort...........sorry guys.................I was getting my company van serviced one day while an hour away from home and i noticed the VW dealer across the street. I thought."What the Hell! I have tried every other car out there and i can't find one that i like and fit in. Hmmmmmmmm.............tiny car, i dought ill fit in it like any other car, but i mise well give it a chance since its my last choice." Bang!!!! I sat in a black one without sunroof and I ACTUALLY FIT!! I was so excited! I couldn't believe how much room this car had in all aspects. I was so happy with the front that i decided, that it wouldn't matter if i fit in the back or not but i also mise well try it. SO, i left the seat in the same position i had it in the driver's seat and climbed around to the back. WTF? I fit back here too, and i have 2in of kneeroom to spare! Ok, salesmen says" Why don't we take it for a test drive?" I said that i didn't have time because i had to walk back over to the Ford dealer.(It was across the street ,but it was across a highway so i had to walk about a 1/2mile around or so to get there.) He said "Well, how about we take it for a test drive and i will drop you off art the frod dealer?" I coulnd't resist that offer soi i drove it. It was so smooth accelerating and i just couldn't believe the torque this little motor had. 207lb? naugh....no way. But then i realized that the specs said it kicked in at 1800rpm and i thought thats why. Anyway. I took it up on the highway and it was so smooth. I actually didn't realize that i was going 85 in a 65. Then again i didnt realized i was going 110 in a 75. I couldnt believe that this car had no understeer either. Overall, i was just amazed! This car could actually keep up at 75ish in 6th gear going up a 6% or so grade. (I live in Colorado at 5000ft ,test drove at 6000ft.) I loved it and told the salesmen i wanted one but i would have to wait until december and he was ok with that. (never hounded me) A month later, i came back to so my girlfriend and get her opinion. She hated the car. SHe did not want to go in with me at all. THEN, she sat in it and fell in love, especially after i took it on an other test drive.
Morally of the story...........i found the car that i could afford with EVERYTHING i wanted, nothing less, nothing more. I WILL be buying one probably this december or January 08.
Chris
O0 O0 O0

·
Registered
842 Posts
I too am 6'-3" - the size of a proper man ;D

I had the same experiences as above, and the VW was one of the few that I could be seated and still see the guages. They had it right in 1992, when I got my first Golf MKII. Our MKIV is also great.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I downloaded the tech sheets from Car and Driver and the 07 GTI and the 07 Mini Cooper S are quite similar in performance. The braking and acceleration up to 130MPH numbers are almost IDENTICAL. I'd say a race between the 2 is a true drivers race... both cars were 6spd manual so i'm not sure how much better the DSG would do, most likely it would give the GTI a slight edge in acceleration numbers. Total time to 130MPH was 36.3s for the mini and 36.5 for the GTI... 0-100 was 16.7 for the mini cooper s and 16.5 for the GTI. Braking from 70mph was within a foot of each other, so i call that a draw, the mini technically scored 1 foot better... The GTI was on 18's and the mini on 17's... it's possible that with the GTI on 17's and a DSG tranny it would win the speed battle at almost every interval. However, i'm not sure how the braking numbers would be affected if it were on 17's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
kryptonkid07 said:
Magazines like Car and Driver confuse me. haha. Some say the GTI's 0-60 is 6.0 seconds and VW says 6.9/7.0....
I agree, i hear different times from everyone. But i think they should test them all at the same outside temp after full idle warm up only instead of driving them all the time, then seeing what they do to 60. Also, another thing to consider is the altitude at which they are tested..............
my $0.02

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
paintballman said:
kryptonkid07 said:
Magazines like Car and Driver confuse me. haha. Some say the GTI's 0-60 is 6.0 seconds and VW says 6.9/7.0....
I agree, i hear different times from everyone. But i think they should test them all at the same outside temp after full idle warm up only instead of driving them all the time, then seeing what they do to 60. Also, another thing to consider is the altitude at which they are tested..............
my $0.02
I officially offer myself to be the oppointed tester! [cheers]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the chance to do a couple rolling starts against my friend's 2006 CooperS. It may be that from a stop the GTI and CooperS will tie, but from a rolling start the supercharged mini has a slight advantage over the turbocharged GTI.

The lack of turbo lag makes the Mini get ahead by half a car in the first half a second ... differece that the GTI starts reducing with each gear, but it is not an easy task to get ahead.

The story is differente when the rolling start is done during acceleration (that is with the turbo boosting). The GTI will take a copule feet on the mini on each gear.

My engine has 2K and his over 20K, so it may be that as engine matures the difference will decrease.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.