Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to make another new thread, this one being for those who have taken their GTI to the limit. What did your GTI top out at?

I took mine to 110 on the highway today, but I know that wasn't even close to what it could really do. Had to keep it under 4K rpms.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
My god, where did you get going that fast at? Is there a way to remove the 140mph limiter without going stage 1 or 2?
on a stretch of divided highway about 1 mile long before a slight curve. No traffic ahead of me at all. I don't think there is a way to remove it as it is built into the software on the computer, hence when going stage 1 or 2 you are replacing that software.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on a stretch of divided highway about 1 mile long before a slight curve. No traffic ahead of me at all. I don't think there is a way to remove it as it is built into the software on the computer, hence when going stage 1 or 2 you are replacing that software.
Gah, that sounds amazing! Next time, you should film it! I can't imagine how it feels to be the driver going that fast, I was a passenger in a Viper at 182mph but I'm sure it feels better to be the driver.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Gah, that sounds amazing! Next time, you should film it! I can't imagine how it feels to be the driver going that fast, I was a passenger in a Viper at 182mph but I'm sure it feels better to be the driver.
I don't do that kinda stuff anymore. That was in my younger/dumber days. Plus I don't own the car anymore. I just like the people here

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
At 110 you were just about to the cars limiter. The Mk5 may have gone 140 but my car starts slowing up as it approaches 120. You need to have the car tuned in order to go any faster.

Where do you go that fast? Well heck son, you live in the wild and wooley west. We have tons of places to exercise that car of yours. I live down south of you in Ridgway, just west of me there are all kinds of roads you could run triple digits for as long as you are brave enough to hold it there. My car does 100 mph pretty much everytime it gets driven.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At 110 you were just about to the cars limiter. The Mk5 may have gone 140 but my car starts slowing up as it approaches 120. You need to have the car tuned in order to go any faster.

Where do you go that fast? Well heck son, you live in the wild and wooley west. We have tons of places to exercise that car of yours. I live down south of you in Ridgway, just west of me there are all kinds of roads you could run triple digits for as long as you are brave enough to hold it there. My car does 100 mph pretty much everytime it gets driven.
Even with a manual I was close to the limiter? Happy to see another CO member on here! I live in Littleton and I can only hit that at night when the highway's are empty, you know whats funny though... I just did a road trip around Colorado including Ouray (where I lived for two years) and went fishing in Ridgeway. Unfortunately, I only had a 2000 Saturn SL1 with 100hp at that time...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Probably 125 then decided the guy was way to far behind to catch up. ahhaa

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
You stopped building that car, quit lying.
I'll have you know I dusted it off the other day.

Ha ha, you guys all seem to know each other pretty well...
They just like busting my balls

110 is not getting to the limiter, the gearing on these cars is fine up to 170 or so (after gov removed). The reason the acceleration starts slowing is aerodynamics, basically going from 70mph to 140mph takes more than 4 times the power it takes to overcome drag at 70. increasing exponentially as you increase your velocity. So say it takes 40hp to maintain 70mph in the gti it would take approx. 160 hp to reach 140mph. You just need long level road to get there. rolling your windows up and lowering the car also makes a huge difference. Don't forget the wax job haha

1 - 20 of 55 Posts