Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having my TPMS go off every 2-3 days for the past two weeks (my '07 MkV is at 8k miles). The TPMS is fine....my tires are are leaking! Each tire has leaked from 40 to about 30psi on various occasions. I had one flat, but that doesn't explain the other three leaking air so rapidly. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas about what might be going on?

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
negative here....but do you drive aggressively? On one of my previous cars (Audi S4) the first set of tires only lasted 7500 miles. Usually the first set is of a much lower quality and the tread life is very poor.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My tires were leaky too, so much that one day I thought someone tried to sabotage my car. They told me at Firestone that the TPMS valve is what was doing it, but I don't even have that feature, so I guess it's just stock... I kinda wish it weren't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't say I drive so aggressively that I would wear out the tires this quickly, especially since about 2000 of those miles are highway. Also, one of them was replaced already only about 1000 miles ago...and that one is leaky just like the others. It's just so weird. I scheduled a service appointment....have to wait a few weeks, but I suspect it has something to do with the TPMS. I heard a friend of a friend had this problem on a BMW with TPMS.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
isn't the stock psi 35? Anyway, do u do boost launches? My front two tires lost psi when use launch control; left 33, right 32, the rest was at 35 psi. Dont ask me how this could happen, cause i can't explain it myself .The tire in the front start bouncng, and you can hear the knocking from inside the cabin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MAybe stock is 35 psi, but inside the door it says 40. I have the 18" wheels. The launch, that's with the DSG right? Mine's manual.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
you can launch with a manual transmission too... you have a thing that's similar to launch control.. it's called your left foot. [fish]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kryptonkid07 said:
you can launch with a manual transmission too... you have a thing that's similar to launch control.. it's called your left foot. [fish]
Yeah. That feature I'm pretty familiar with.

·
Banned
890 Posts
???I had a similar tire pressure problem as some others. One day all four tires were low! I thought someone was messing with me.Inflated all four, happened again. I drive aggressily on occassion, OK, most days and can't wait for the rubber on these no season tires to wear off! It's been a few weeks and the tires are holding fine now. Bought a good tire pressure gauge. Turns out most gas stations are really inaccurate(checked mine against some other high quality gauges) :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE!!!!

The tires are finally better. Here's what happened:

1) Took it to dealer, they checked for leaks and found none. Service rep reminds me several times that they do not warranty the tires. Suggested I fill with nitrogen to reduce expansion/contraction due to temperature variations. So I paid $40 for them to fill with Nitrogen (sounds like a lot, but I get free refills forever).

2) After a couple of weeks, 3 of the tires have been low so I take it back to dealer. I ask, "if you don't warranty the tires, what do I do about dealing with Continental about them if I think they are defective?" They say go to any authorized Continental dealer to deal with Continental warranty issues. I respond, "Aren't you a Continental dealer, since you sold me these tires?" They say no. Then they deflate completely and refill with nitrogen (saying "maybe we didn't get out all the regular air the first time").

3) One week later, one tire is low so I bring to local Continental tire place. They look and say "hey you have a roofing nail in your tire" and plug&patch it for $20.

We had our roof redone like 3 months before (and I took great care to park my precious GTI in the road and thoroughly go over the yard and driveway with the giant nail magnet thing). BUT, this explains only ONE TIRE, not all 4. So I take it back to the dealer and tell them that they missed a nail in my tire when they told me they checked them all for leaks. And in case you're wondering, I didn't see it because it was on the inside edge of the tire and I don't personally have a lift.

So the dealer says, "you could have got that nail anytime, we're not admitting to missing it." They still act baffled about the other three tires.

Now, it's like a month later and none of them have been low. Nitrogen actually fixed it! I couldn't believe it because I thought Nitrogen was a $$-making racket that did nothing (all gases expand/contract under varying temperatures).

I'm still pissed that they either took the tires off to do a dunk test and didn't notice a roofing nail with a neon green plastic thing on it sticking out of my tire.....or they didn't check them for leaks at all! And the first time they filled them with Nitrogen, they didn't deflate them all the way.

Now I'm going to replace the ugly blue plastic valve caps they gave me with some blue VW logo ones.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
20 bucks for a plug and patch... haha, my local guy charged me 7 bucks. :)

They only spoke spanish, so i walked up to him speaking spanish and i guess made him feel comfortable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my tenants actually owns a tire shop and would have done it for free, but I was just in a defeated mindset....wanted to get it over with already.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Hate on us caus we're underpopulated on the forum...

Sounds like you have problems with your VW dealer much like I did here, sucks when they arn't willing to work with you...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey, nothing but love for my fellow MkIV owners. I'll take you guys & gals over any SS Slo-balt (a.k.a Riced-out Cavalier).

Last night it got really cold in SE VA and all 4 tires read 28psi. Guess the cold put them below the magic point and bam.. on came the warnings. I'll get them to about 35 just to be on the safe side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.