Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and VW in general. I tried searching for my problem with no luck so far. I have a 2008 GTI FSI. I had to leave for some training (in the Air Force) and I disconnected my battery to conserve it while I was gone. Since then, my throttle has been automatically fluctuating between idle and 2k rpm even in neutral or with the clutch in. I'm not sure what it could be except something wrong with the throttle body, but I want your expert opinions! Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
577 Posts
2008... hmmm, have you had the PCV fixed? It's a well known part to fail on your car. It can cause some strange stuff, and a hunting idle can be one of them. It's an easy fix to do yourself, but if you can find out if it's still under an extended warranty, i'd let a dealer do it for free.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Sounds like when you reconnected the battery the throttle alignment was disrupted and didn't get to finish.

Throttle body probably just needs to be realigned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it in and had the PCV replaced. Only like 60 bucks for the valve but I didn't want to do the work and don't have some of the necessary tools. The throttlebody did need to be readapted, but the issue was caused by the PCV being stuck open. It was easily apparent while the engine was running and I tried to open the oil fill cap. Way too much suction and I could barely pull it off. Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.