Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this weird problem where one day my fast will drive as normal then the next day i can push it all i want and it seems i get no boost in any gear. Anyone have any answers? I have a 07 GTI 6 speed

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Can you hear the turbo at all during the days w/o boost?

How many times has it done it? What changed before it started? Any changes in fuel or temperature swings? ???

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear it but... no power.. My car is totally stock. Fuel is the same (93) and i dont watch the temp much but when i peek at it never seen it past half. It happened a couple times one day ill start it up it seems to drive like crap. The next day it seems to drive like its suppose to. I barely ever stomp on the car so it could of been doing it for a while now without me knowing. it has 4.5k on it now.. maybe it needs a oil change now its weird waiting 5k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
scottnashley said:
I hear it but... no power.. My car is totally stock. Fuel is the same (93) and i dont watch the temp much but when i peek at it never seen it past half. It happened a couple times one day ill start it up it seems to drive like crap. The next day it seems to drive like its suppose to. I barely ever stomp on the car so it could of been doing it for a while now without me knowing. it has 4.5k on it now.. maybe it needs a oil change now its weird waiting 5k miles.
I'd say take it in, since you have to do the oil soon anyway :-\

I'm not a mechanic, but it could be a few differnt things, the dealer can check the diagnostics and narrow it down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I noticed with my '07 that if the temperature outside was very cold, that the car seemed to get worse gas mileage and worse power. When it gets up to about 65° F it seems to perform better than normal. I don't know why that is because everything that I've ever learned about vehicles says that colder weather should be better because of air temperature going into the car (except gas mileage, that should get better when it's warm out). I am like you and hardly ever really get on it when i drive, being that 99% of my driving is on semi-crowded highway.

·
Registered
220 Posts
your car is made to perform at a certian tempurature (hot). thats doesnt mean that you need it to overheat to perform, but in between the time you start up, and you get to a regular temp your car is not performing as well or getting as good gas milage.

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
turbo charged cars especially love somewhat cold weather. they will rip a lot harder when its cold due to low intake temperatures.

·
Registered
220 Posts
your turbo is not your whole engine. having a bangin turbo on a broke down engine wont do anything will it? so have nice cold air in our turbo compressing air for a cold engine will not help

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont think your experienceing a problem. I think its the wamr up program you've noticed.

Dont quote me on this, but when i start my car. I have maybe 3/4s the power i do when its warmed up.
There is a wamr up program in the car. where the power is cut untill a certain temperature, and the reason for it is because its a cast iron block, with aluminum heads. 2 different types of metal that expand/contract at different rates from heat. I would imagine they do this to wait till they have both expanded from the heat createing a better seal on the head gasket. I would think that if you had full power right of the bat you would blow head gaskets like nothing.

This is just purely my thoughts, I've noticed may car does it everytime i start it up.

Check it out next time you drive. start it and stomp on it cold. and then the next day start it let it get up to normal temp. and stomp on it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
V14life said:
start it and stomp on it cold. and then the next day start it let it get up to normal temp. and stomp on it.
That is a TERRIBLE idea. Listen everyone, please do not do this to your car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Get a VAG-COM cable and do some logging and see if it is all in your head. Or find someone near by that has one.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
V14life said:
Check it out next time you drive. start it and stomp on it cold. and then the next day start it let it get up to normal temp. and stomp on it.
ummmmmmm, just NO!!

What are you thinking anyways? Cast iron and aluminum, different expansion rates with temp; what might be the only mitigating factor during warm up? Lubrication? Gotta get the juices flowin' first homey....It's a good mantra, run with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only reason it seems to run faster at cold start up is because its shooting more gas into the motor. Anyways it was a error in the update and devirter valve it wasnt my imagination.

·
Registered
342 Posts
10bv01 said:
V14life said:
start it and stomp on it cold. and then the next day start it let it get up to normal temp. and stomp on it.
I say do what you want. On the one hand, you may ruin your engine, but on the other hand, this would be the only way to see if this theory is correct (other than having a no-kidding VW engineer explain this to us).

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, I wasnt saying start it up, and the second you let go of the key jump on it, i was just saying before it gets warmed up.

As far as lubrication, that happens with in seconds of starting if not sooner, I mean come on if the thing took a min to get lubed up on start up weed be getten new piston rings at every oil change if the car made it that far.

If what i mentioned sounds stupid, im sorry for mentioning it. Go ask your service manage, and he will surely end this story.

My apologiez.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This may not relate directly to this topic, but if you have read anything about his engine, you'll know that there is indeed an initial start program. When the engine is cold, the ECM actually has a double injection mode that it runs for about 45 secs - 1.5 mins in order to bring the catalytic converter up to a running temperature of around 650 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that fuel is actually injected twice into the cylinder before TDC on the power stroke. When the cat. is at operating temperature, the ECM will kick the engine into regular running mode. It's always good to let the engine warm up for a minute before driving.

·
Registered
96 Posts
10bv01 said:
V14life said:
LOL why not? can you explain why its a TERRIBLE idea? i kinda thought he made sense.. he is saying if you stomp on it when it is cold the first day it will do nothing due to the program installed on the car... but if you have a rebuttle we would like to hear it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Running your engine hard while it's cold is not a good idea. The engine needs to warm up, and get lubricated properly before you start making it rev past 4500+. You don't want your engine working hard if it isn't ready to do so. It's simple logic if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.