Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow, and this is great that it has all these links to different reviews of the GTI, some of which I hadn't read. Cool.

I didn't realize that the exterior design was "somewhat controversial." I think MSN doesn't know what it's talking about. so there. ???

·
Registered
181 Posts
I guess it would be tough for them to rate the GTI higher than its more expensive cousin, so they made sure it was 1/10th of a point below the A3. If one of the categories had been "Value", GTI would have blown the competition out of the water. And it's still hard for me to believe that VW's reliability can be that much worse than Audi's. I sure hope they're wrong on that one.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Reliability issues?

This car is probably one of the most "beat on" cars in existence, think about it ...16 - 24 yr olds drove this car when it first came out, no offense to the young guys here ( i used to be one of em ) but when an 18 yr old gets in a fast car - thrashing happens.

If this car was driven by a reserved person who drove it like alot of regular cars - compliantly.

I personally think it would last forever if you look at the build quality. I had an 86 jetta that i put 200,000 miles on in 4 years and the only repair ever done was a fuel pump, i beat that car a good amount but not horribly. A tree fell on it and crushed the windshield, dash and roof ( it leaked due to a shoddy repair job ) but the car ran and ran and ran, i even sold it for 1500 bucks and only paid 6k when i got it.

In my opinion that reliability rating is a joke.

·
Registered
181 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
Reliability issues?

This car is probably one of the most "beat on" cars in existence, think about it ...16 - 24 yr olds drove this car when it first came out, no offense to the young guys here ( i used to be one of em ) but when an 18 yr old gets in a fast car - thrashing happens.

If this car was driven by a reserved person who drove it like alot of regular cars - compliantly.

I personally think it would last forever if you look at the build quality. I had an 86 jetta that i put 200,000 miles on in 4 years and the only repair ever done was a fuel pump, i beat that car a good amount but not horribly. A tree fell on it and crushed the windshield, dash and roof ( it leaked due to a shoddy repair job ) but the car ran and ran and ran, i even sold it for 1500 bucks and only paid 6k when i got it.

In my opinion that reliability rating is a joke.
One reason it took me a while to buy a VW was because of the Consumer Reports reliability ratings. But when I asked a few VW owners about their experience I got comments like yours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts