My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my GTI last week, and I have to say that it is an awesome car. However, I wanted one with a navigation system. I asked the dealer about ordering a GTI with the nav, and he told me that they don't install the nav at the factory. He said they actually send it out to a third party to install the nav (he said it was aftermarket) and that I would save money if I took it down to the local car audio store and purchased one on my own. (I think they just wanted to get me in and out of there with my pockets empty.) I ended up taking the GTI they had, which like I said, is an awesome car.

So, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get an OEM nav system for my GTI or where I might find an inexpensive one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Navigation System

Unfortunately, your dealer didn't know what he was talking about. You cannot get the factory nav system aftermarket, it is built in to the car. I would recommend the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 if you want the best and something that looks somewhat factory. It's a superior system to the factory system (has bluetooth, live traffic, hard drive, touchscreen), but it's also more expensive ($2250) though I bet you could get it for less than retail.

AVIC-Z1

Otherwise, if you don't want to spend so much you can pay 500-1000 and get something that mounts on your windshield. I'm sure you can also find something similar from clarion and fujitsu that will fit in the double-din space on the GTi.

Good luck, hope that helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts

Also, Pioneer has the AVIC-D2 which is more basic and doesn't have live traffic reports and sat radio, bluetooth,and all that extra stuff, and it's $1500.

·
Registered
15 Posts

If you go with the Navigation do you lose the ability to play MP3's through the changer?

·
Registered
91 Posts

I am pretty sure the nav system only has the 1 disc capability (for your maps) and the changer is in the console?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Call me crazy or not .. but i want one

Here in canada the GTIs don't come with Nav Systems because Canada sucks more or less ... they will sell you extra dark tint that is not legal but no Nav System witch is so stupid.

I was thinking since it is available in USA ... do you guys know anyone that might be selling theres or is it even possible to put one in now that it didn't come standard from the factory

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Of course you can add after market nav systems. You can put anything you want in there, better head unit, DVD player, whatnot.

Hope you don't mind I merged this topic with the existing Nav System topic but kept your subject title. Essentially I merged the old topic into your's. In future, please look for existing relevant topics and post there instead of creating new ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked my 07 gti with navi up today. My initial impression is that I am very disappointed in the vw navigation system. I had an acura with navi and have seen others. VW's system is the worst, by far. Can't even compare to acura's.

Very difficult to use. No touch screen. No voice recognition. If you don't get the additional cd changer, you can't play cd's and use the navigation at the same time. (you have to remove the dvd from the drive to play the cd). And make sure, if you want the cd changer, that when you order you are clear that you are getting the changer. My dealer didn't seem to know anytning, and when mine arrived it had the ipod instead of the changer.

While I am impressed with the car in all other respects, this was a let down I was not expecting. Stay away from the factory navi and look into the aftermarket products.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You have the exact impression of the factory NAV that I did, so I opted not to order it. The freakin dealer couldn't even show me a car with it. I want the ipod interface & the ability to play CD's as well & since the Ipod interface doesn't show you crap on the display I will load 6 MP3 CDR's with what I can from I-Tunes so that I have the ability to scroll Artist & song name & realy on the Ipod for Playlists only. My wife has an 06 Acura TL 6 speed with NAV & I discovered if the DVD drive isn't located in the trunk then your making a sacrafice to your sound system for the NAV. I spent that money on an underbody kit instead. Down the road if I really need NAV I'll buy a $500 Garmin. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I'm sure there must be an aftermarket nav system out there that has the touch screen, voice recognition, plays DVD movies (when Nav not in use) and has the 6 disk MP3 changer built into the head unit (as opposed to the separate changer in the arm rest).

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought a MIO GPS for $250. I can take it from car to car, and saved $1600 over the cost of the factory one. I havn't heard too many takers for the factory set up yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did lots of reading regarding the navigation/audio displays and the ipod integration. According to the manuals, if you have the ipod option, you do get the displays and functionality through the navigation screen, controls, steering wheel controls etc. Don't have an ipod, so I can't tell you yet whether it all works as promised in the manual. (in a classic response from my salesman, he suggested I just download all of my cd's to an ipod and I'll be ahead of the game). I'm not an ipod guy, but I guess I'm not going to have much of a choice.

I will say that the navigation screen displays a lot more information re the audio functions than you would otherwise get without it. (and it looks really cool too) This is particularly nice for the satelite radio. Of course, $1600 is a lot to pay for a nicer display.

Now I'm off to search the posts for info on which ipod to get to best integrate with the factory ipod hook-up. (looks like most, but not all ipods, will work but there are adaptors to make them fit. I'd rather not use an adapter if I can buy one that fits without).

·
Registered
13 Posts
It just keeps getting worse. Went out and bought my ipod, loaded some cd's onto it and tried it out. Now this is my first experience with an ipod, so please educate me if I'm missing something, but plugging it into the console mount renders it virtually unusable.

You can't control the music or access files or play lists through the ipod, because its wedged into the console. And the controls on the stereo/navigation are practically useless. You get nothing on the diplay, and you can only jump around from your first through sixth cd's. To get to the rest, you have to scroll through, song by song, till you get to what you want. And if you've loaded 1000 songs on your ipod and want to get to number 800, for example, you better bring a lunch. And you better know which song it is, becuase you're going to have to listen to each song to find out what it is, because there's no display.

I'm really hoping I'm missing something here. If I am, please tell me how to better understand it. Because the manuals don't tell me anything and my dealer, well don't get me started on that.

Sorry for the rant, but my advice is stay away from the console mounted ipod. If you go through the glove box plug-in, at least you can navigate through your music via the ipod itself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought an after market Alpine IVA-W200 touchscreen monitor for $900. It's mp3, dvd, navigation, and iPod compatible. I like it and if you get it make sure you tell the audio store to link your stock aux with the monitor because they forgot to do it to mine and I couldn't use my iPod.

If you want one I can get you one for cheap and mail it to you.

·
Registered
577 Posts

blackmagic said:
Unfortunately, your dealer didn't know what he was talking about. You cannot get the factory nav system aftermarket, it is built in to the car. I would recommend the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 if you want the best and something that looks somewhat factory. It's a superior system to the factory system (has bluetooth, live traffic, hard drive, touchscreen), but it's also more expensive ($2250) though I bet you could get it for less than retail.

AVIC-Z1

Otherwise, if you don't want to spend so much you can pay 500-1000 and get something that mounts on your windshield. I'm sure you can also find something similar from clarion and fujitsu that will fit in the double-din space on the GTi.

Good luck, hope that helps!
Does the Avic -Z1 have a hack yet?

2,250 dollars and no functionality while driving is a waste of money.

Imagine how much the tobacco industry would lobby congress if cars came with cigarette lighters that wouldnt heat up unless the car was stopped and the parking brake engaged, it wouldnt be long before that law was rescinded, i guarantee it ... but then again, there is no law like that...you can access your cig lighter and light up while going 80 using both hands to burn one if ya want to, but forget about punching in a new destination with one hand, thats just UNSAFE right? whatever... this feature just pisses me off!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts