Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, and current 2006 Subaru 2.5i owner. I'm looking at getting either a 2008 WRX or a GTI this spring, I love my current Impreza but I'm wanting to upgrade to something faster.

The new WRX is dissapointing, and the DSG in the GTI is something I'd love to try out(traffic), and hopefully not miss that third pedal too much

I'm looking for opinions on how well the new GTI handles itself in the snow and ice, like we get here in North East PA. Obviously it wont be as good as an awd, but as long as it can get me to work in the muck. I would be putting full on winter tires of course, but I could really use some encouragement, that this new GTI won't leave me stuck in a pile of snow somewhere.

·
Registered
52 Posts
overall its pretty good in the snow. its no wrx though. It handles fine although i am a bit scared when i go out with the summer performance tires on. As long as u go with the 17'' wheels u should be fine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I drove my Fast in upstate NY last winter with the stock all-season tires. It did just fine. I'm one of those people that actually enjoys driving in the snow though. I guess I just enjoy the challenge. Anyway, with winter tires you shouldn't have any trouble at all unless the snow is deeper than than the car's clearance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks thats good to hear. It was actually a Car and Driver comparo which showed a GTI stuck on the side of the road that had me a little concerned. I've driven front drive cars in snow before but none with turbo. Guess its all about the tires. O0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts