Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed a Tornado Red GTI today who was coming in the opposite direction. He flicked his lights, and I gave him the peace sign. I have only had my car 5 days, so I don't know if this is etiquette amongst GTI owners...................?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey Uncle, I dunno but I throw up the peace sign to fellow FAST pilots. :) To me, its a sign of mutual respect between owners. We're human, it can get missed once or twice but once reflected its all good to me. 8)

·
Registered
446 Posts
every time i see one i try to wave or show something. i had a Wrangler before this so it just kind of comes natural to do this

·
Registered
300 Posts
thedudes said:
every time i see one i try to wave or show something. i had a Wrangler before this so it just kind of comes natural to do this
That's funny because I have a friend who had a CJ-5 who insisted when I borrowed his car, as part of the borrowing deal, that I wave to the other Jeeps. :)

I always throw a wave at other mk5 GTI's. In fact, I grumble at the ones that don't respond back.

I saw a Sarah Silverman episode where, "When a driver in a red Ford Focus pulls up alongside her red Ford Focus and cheerily observes, Â"Hey, same car!,Â" Sarah parrots his remark with an expression of utter spastic disgust."

I laughed, but I thought, "our GTIs are a little more special than that." ;D

·
Registered
446 Posts
it was a must in the wrangler the brochure it came with had instructions on how to do the wave properly it was awesome. But most GTI I see do not wave back to me but one day they will.

·
Registered
556 Posts
A couple of months ago I saw another CW at a gas station, and we exchanged nods; the kind of nod that says how awesome the car is and that we are both lucky to have one [cheers]. It was cool, and my friend that was riding shotgun thought it was pretty badass too, like it was being a member of an exclusive club, which I guess is actually what it is. Fun stuff...

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
one damn expensive club, jus w/ alot of perks

·
Registered
577 Posts
" its a jeep thing " I owned 2 sahara's ... a 97 and a 2000 ( my dad works at the jeep plant in ohio - i got employee discount ) and everytime a jeep rolled by me i got the wave, without fail.

yesterday in the parking garage at MGM a girl was geting into a nice UG with the factory ground effects and huffs and i pulled next to her as she was getting in it and yelled..."nice car " she said thanks then turned and smiled and looked away, then poked her head back out real fast and smiled even bigger ( when she saw i was in my FH ) and yelled " you toooo "

But i do have to admit i dont get as many nods or waves in the GTI as i did in my jeep ... we need to get this movement going. and no matter what start waving at other GTI's even if they dont... the inspiration starts here :)

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I was with a friend of mine in my Tornado Red, and we were on the feeder/service road and he spotted a Fahrenheit on the freeway.. I was cruising at about 55 in 6th and the GTI was going about 65-70 on the freeway. I kick it into 3rd or 4th and zoom on the on-ramp. I get in front of the Fahrenheit and started to slow it down to get beside the car... But it just so happens that the Fahrenheit was about to exit, so it wasn't catching up and instead it was slowing down... my friend the proceeds to stick his entire head and arm out of the window and wave at the Fahrenheit that was almost directly behind me.. .well, it was an older lady and she waved back with a smile so big that I could see it from the rear view window.

In a unrelated story... me and another friend of mine were going to go eat at Buffalo Wild Wings and when i pulled into the parking lot I saw a 2 door 2007 Civic Si... so I purposely parked right next to it in reverse. As we got inside one of the waiter's comes up to me (he obviously saw be pull up and get out of my GTI) and says "Is that your GTI?" and I said, "Yeah"... the only person who would ask me that I would think would be the guy who owns the Si. He then says, "That's a nice car you have." I said, "thank you, is that your Si?" He said yes, then I told him he had a nice car too.

According to my friend, this is how the conversation should have gone.

-"Is that your GTI?"
-"Yes"
-"That's a nice car!"
-"Thank you, is that your Si?"
-"yes"
I then just walk away. HAHAHA!

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I get waves and nods from other GTI pilots (and waves from Corrado and Scirocco owners too O0)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I must live in the only non-friendly gti area. Because so far i've scene quite a few GTI's in the year i have had mine and i've only had one CW give me a wave as we passed each other and another GLI give me a wave as well. as for the others i was at a red light next to this other CW and rolled down my window to give them a compliment and they looked at me and gave me a dirty look and rolled their window up before i could say anything. I don't know maybe its something i'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
06TRMKV said:
I must live in the only non-friendly gti area. Because so far i've scene quite a few GTI's in the year i have had mine and i've only had one CW give me a wave as we passed each other and another GLI give me a wave as well. as for the others i was at a red light next to this other CW and rolled down my window to give them a compliment and they looked at me and gave me a dirty look and rolled their window up before i could say anything. I don't know maybe its something i'm doing wrong.
Don't be discouraged. They were probably Accord owners on a test drive. :eek:

·
Registered
473 Posts
TOE_FAST said:
.. we need to get this movement going. and no matter what start waving at other GTI's even if they dont... the inspiration starts here :)
Thats true and any GTI I spot I will wave, flash a peace sign or honk. We know what its like to be in touch with our Fast. We share a common bond.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Very True, we are all in touch with our FAST. Some of us are more in touch than others, and some of us take longer to get in touch. But once we are in tune we will all wave! O0

·
Registered
169 Posts
Okay once again i saw an MKV and this time it was a younger guy maybe in his mid 20's he had the windows tinted and it was a really nice 4 door UG and i looked over and flashed a wave at him and once again a dirty look. I really do think that the people in my area are that self absorbed and only care about them selfs. Seriously we drive a car that not many people drive and everyone i know that owns one (just you guys and girls on the site) more live for the gti than just own one. Ugh I just want the people in this area to not be so freaking Stuck up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live here in Oregon and I have seen a few other Gti's and R32's around, got one honk and some old guy follow me about 10 car lengths behind. Never a wave or smile or peace sign, thumbs up, nod of head or even the middle finger, nothing. What, these pricks out here don't realize how special they are to own such an AWESOME car, I mean come on, appreciate life and its little rewards such as this Gti. I make up excuses to my girlfriend just so I can have a reason to go drive. Every minute i am in the car i feel that much closer to......well I am not sure to what but you guys know what I am saying.
Anyways lets get the ball rolling on atleast acknowledging other Gti's, a wave, a friendly look, or flash of lights, something, We should be Family!

·
Banned
890 Posts
:-\Got a Jeep Wrangler new in 2002. Learned the 'wave' pretty quick. Noticed lately that the 'wave' is fading. When I see a hot car, in my eyes, I always give a wave or nod. If someone is into their ride, yes-even a rice burner-I find that a positive thing.My Farenheit gets lots of nods, waves,thumbs-up...Try and give the benfit of doubt if someone doesn't respond. Maybe it isn't their car,they just got fired,ticketed...we all have grumpy days, don't let their crappy day overtake your positive day!

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only real thumbs up or wave i have gotten was from a guy driving a WRX STI right after i got my fast it was a pretty cool feeling knowing he respected my car and liked my car enough to give a wave. Still no luck with any of the GTI's in my area.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I get the most looks from people driving Acura's and Honda's - mostly dudes under 30. One guy actually slowed down and rubber necked where I was parked - I was standing off to the side so he didn't see me [fish]

Anyway, I always give a headlight flash or wave to the fellow GTI owner - it will catch on just watch.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah, I was driving down the road one day, and a guy on the opposite side flashed his passing lights, to which I replied with mine (lights off, pull the stick; the inner lights). It was cool, so I've been doing it every time I see another MkV Rabbit or GTI, or just any other VW owner that I can visibly tell loves their car. Waving at other people may seem like isolated acts now, but I'm hoping to see the day where people just wave at other people because they're nice. You don't have to know the person, you are just acknowledging that you are just like them; another human being. We tend to just see cars out there on the road, but I'm trying to see people. People just like you and me, driving to the grocery store or coming home from work. It sounds kind of lame and cliche, but why? When did it become strange to be nice to other people?

I guess I got a little off topic, but it feels good to get that off my chest. DEAL WIT IT [dragon]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts